Considering 15" MBP: i5 or i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fishix, May 11, 2010.

1. fishix macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying a 15" MacBook Pro in a few weeks and I'm wondering if I should get the
    • Core i5 2.53GHz, GeForce GT 330M with 256MB
    • Core i7 2.66GHz, GeForce GT 330M with 512MB

I currently have a [5-year old] Fujitsu laptop which I would probably be using for work-related stuff (programming, writing papers, etc.) and the new MBP I would use for things like Photoshop, Illustrator, video editing, recording/sound editing, writing iPhone apps, and some gaming.

I plan to use this for the next 5 years, so I'm tempted to get the best one possible (with 1680x1050 option), but then I'm wondering what the difference these specs would make... and would it be worth it for the extra $200.

Also, I've heard this thing about the new MBP freezing... should I get it now or wait some more and make sure Apple finds a way to fix it.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks so much!

2. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I would say the i7 myself, that's what I'm getting. But I would say get that looking at the work you are going to do plus if you make iPhone apps on it then you will be making money on it.

No doubt though here come 50 posts stating the opposite to me.............

All I'll say is I joined here to ask about which CPU to get in the first unibody laptop, I was advised to get the 2.8, the current top end, I ignored them and got the 2.53 and have kind of been kicking myself playing some games in bootcamp and Mac OSX. So I'm not missing out this time.

3. dr4g0n macrumors member

If you're planning to play games on it, especially with HD display, buy i7 (as it has 512MB of VRAM).
    If you plan to have it for 5 years - buy i7. It's 400$ between i5 (lowest) and i7. It's 80$/year if you go for the 5 year plan. I think your choice is pretty easy ;)

As for the display 330m runs games OK in 1440x900. Think what will happen in 2 years in this resolution. So take it into consideration.

4. Gomff macrumors 6502a

For what you want to use it for, I'd say get the very best you can afford....Especially if you're looking at a 5 year time frame for usage.