Considering a 2006 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 905todd2249, Nov 4, 2009.

1. 905todd2249 macrumors newbie

Hi (first time poster)...

I have been following this forum for a while now and have been contemplating switching to a mac for over a year. I have just been offered a 2006 Mac Pro (standard config - 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, etc.) for $750 (complete with monitor). I would not be a heavy user - standard web surfing, light picture editing, itunes, and maybe some light gaming (mainly FSX via bootcamp). - my kids would use it for school projects, web surfing, chatting, etc. I have searched this forum extensively tonight and was hoping for some helpful advice. I am moving from a 4 yr. old Dell (not even sure of the processor)

My thoughts are that I can't go too wrong for the price and it would be far superior to what I currently use. Plus it gets me into the mac world. Is there anything that I should know? Can I upgrade it to SnowLeopard?? I can easily upgrade the memory - right? It doesn't have bluetooth but can I add it so that I can go wireless??

Thanks in advance for your input. Please take it easy on me <ha>.

2. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

If you just need to do web-surfing and light work, you don't need a mac pro!:rolleyes:

buy an iMac...it would be better for you and your kids...look for deals at the refurbished store...it would be better if you bought an iMac as you can sell it for more later...

Most of the macpro users are professionals who do heavy stuff like video/audio editing...

you can even by a maxed out new mac mini for the same price (without the display)...

IMO you should look for the iMac...it would do your work awesomely...the new iMacs are beautiful...and you'll also get the magic mouse and full one year apple warranty:D

3. Chuck Fadanoid macrumors member

That sounds like a good price to me. They go for over 1000 Euros on the German eBay.

If you're coming from the PC world and are used to expanding your machine yourself, you'll likely prefer the Mac Pro over the iMac, which is effectively a laptop on a stick.

4. SimonMW macrumors 6502

I think the operative phrase now would be "*was* a laptop on a stick".

Now with the new processors, especially the i7 quad they are no longer glorified laptops.

The Mac Pro seems like a good price, but it depends on which monitor comes with it. Don't forget that the Pro takes up a lot more space, and even a 2006 model is overkill for basic computer tasks.

For reference I often edit HD video on my 13" MacBook Pro, and that has waaaaaaaay less power than the Mac Pro that you mention (I also own the same model of Mac Pro. 1st gen Intel). Yet for most of the time it runs perfectly fine when I'm on the road.

So I'd go along with some of the others here and suggest getting something like the iMac from the refurb store, or even the new Mac Mini. The Mini comes in for a lot of flack, mainly from power user geeks who don't have much concept of the idea of a normal person just wanting to use a computer for tasks that don't involve heavy Photoshop work or posturing specs on a forum.

For what you need it to do you could get the Mini for the less than the Pro you are being offered. You just have to hook it up to your existing monitor and keyboard. The Mini will have more memory and have hardware accelerated H264 decoding for watching Quicktime movies, built in Blue Tooth, built in wireless etc.

5. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

A good price, and why pay more for an iMac ?

If you can secure the original discs, keyboard and mouse with it, and maybe a flat screen monitor (if you need one), then definitely. I'd be jealous.

You may need to up the RAM, and the stock video card was already out-of-date when the machine was launched. But for kids stuff and surfing it'll be fine.

Do you get any other freebies with it ? Old software ? desktop speakers ?

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I'd grab it.
    The expansion of Mac Pros are their biggest selling point…
    Believe me you cannot have enough HDD space. :eek:

RAM is easily added and by now the Mac Pro 1,1 specific RAM is pretty cheap.
    You can upgrade the video card — get a 4870 — they work even though Apple "officially do not support them". :rolleyes:

IMHO, this is far better value than an iMac.

7. 905todd2249 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies - I really appreciate your input and this forum. You guys are great!

The Mac Pro is coming complete with discs and a 19" flat screen monitor (just waiting for the specs on that one) - it is coming from a professional illustrator who is disbanding one of his offices. I agree that it is more than I need but I think the price is so right - it is hard to pass this deal up.

I may be joining the ranks of Apple computers a lot sooner than I was expecting.

Thanks again,

8. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Do it. I have one (Oct 2006) and it's been the most reliable Mac I've had, by far. I dropped a 3870 into it a year or so ago, plus more memory, and I've filled the drive bays. It's quiet and fast enough for FCP, Pro Tools, Photoshop, and the others. A new one would be faster, of course. But if you're not under production deadlines you'll be fine.

Do get more memory, and a bigger HD (or two).

9. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I would have to go for it GREAT Price! Expandability is awesome & the free monitor make it a no brainer.

10. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

I agree the Mac Pro will give you plenty of options to extend its useful life in comparison to an iMac that will cost more.

11. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I would have to go for it GREAT Price! Expandability is awesome & the free monitor make it a no brainer.

12. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

It's a good deal, I don't know why someone would suggest you get a mini for a little less, if you can get a lot more power and EXPANDABILITY (and TRUE discrete graphics) for around the same price, it's a no brainer.

If you want it, I'd grab it; he might find someone else who'll take it.
    If you don't want it, pm me his email. I'll buy it!

Bluetooth is not that important, wireless---just add airport extreme card, less than $100. Or you could just get a usb wireless stick that you can use with other computers as well.

13. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Add in the kids factor, MacBook / MacBook Pro / iMac / Mac Mini and young kids just spells disaster. Things WILL get broken. But the Mac Pro is significantly more durable. I have a 2008 MP, which I let my 2yo son use - he's used it since I got it (don't let him near my old faithful MDD). Sure it gets grubby and kicked and climbed on and toy cars fropped on it, but it only has the one little dent in the aluminium plate (don't know HOW he managed that).

Or connect by Ethernet to a $30 Wireless Router, I bet you have one already. Have Bluetooth and Wireless in my MP, never used them. It's connected to a wireless router and USB connectivity wins out every time over BT.

14. 905todd2249 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again to all who have posted.

I just went ahead and confirmed the purchase of the 2006 Mac Pro. Really looking forward to picking it up this weekend. I can see not getting much done around the house this weekend :)

Hello Mac, goodbye PC!!!!

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think you'll be very happy with it. But please upgrade the RAM asap. 1G is not enough.

16. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

:D Bonzer, good price for an awesome machine. Got mine in Oct 2006, every so often i buy a bit more memory (when the prices drop) or another drive. Just put an SSD drive in to boot windows 7 off. The thing is ready to go in 38 seconds from power on or 27 secs til the snow leopard desktop. Wonderful machine for tweaking and keeping teh snappeh fresh.

When you get it home, just pull the little lever at the back and tip the side panel, you will see the sheer elegant simplicity. I defy anyone to show me a better 'designed' box.

17. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

18. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

you clearly do absolutely NOTHING on a computer. why do you even want a macbook pro???

and how is that a good deal? $750 for an old laptop with ONE gig of ram? and some crappy 19" flatscreen monitor (is it even lcd?)

19. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I'd grab it, that's an awesome deal :)

And about the Bluetooth wireless, I have some of the official Mac Pro bluetooth adapters available if you wanna PM me about getting one.

20. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo