Considering a 2015 rMB. Processor comparison?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SSpiro, Jan 26, 2017.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I need a new laptop, and have fallen in love with the rMB's from 2015 and newer. My budget right now doesn't support a new one, so i've had my eyes on the 2015's as they are about half the price.

The processors seem to be offered in a 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3. How much of a difference, performance wise, would one realize between the 3? Are all 3 M3's?

Trying to determine which one I want, as obviously it affects pricing a bit. I know my usage is going to determine some of it - but really i just want the best performance ROI for my dollar, and certainly dont want to spend ~800 on a machine that won't keep up with me.

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

In a synthetic benchmark situation, the performance difference is about 20% between 1.1GHz and 1.3GHz. The difference between 1.1 and 1.2 is about 15% and the difference between 1.2 and 1.3 is about 5%. So, given the perfect conditions, your best bang for buck is the 1.2. In real world situations, though, you're unlikely to notice much difference between any of them.

The 2015 models do not use the M3 processor, no. That's exclusively used in the 1.1GHz 2016 model. The 2015's just use 'Core M' M-5Y31 / M-5Y51 / M-5Y71 respectively. They're all the same chip, just binned accordingly.

I personally own the 1.1GHz from 2015 and it's been my favourite Mac I've ever bought - more so than my 5K iMac. It doesn't handle a 4K external monitor at all well, so I'm reluctantly upgrading to a new 13" TB MBP.

3. mathpunk macrumors regular

mathpunk

I have a 2015 1.1, and it's just fine for everything I do (write a lot of code, write papers, read stuff). I have been using it with the LG UltraFine 4K 21.5" external display and find that it drives the 4K display just fine. Also, I agree with with post above by andy9l, this is my favorite Mac of all I have owned.

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

I find the performance when driving a 4K monitor is horrible for anything other than extremely basic usage. It even struggles on Facebook.

My "okay-I'm-buying-a-MBP-moment" was when I was using my 4K monitor, streaming audio to my Apple TV, editing a 1080p movie and had the usual Mail/Safari/Messages apps open - every time I moved my cursor along the bar on iMovie, my Apple TV audio stuttered. It was just too much for my little MB! It was so hot, too - really struggling.

It depends on your usage, but this laptop was never meant to drive a 4K monitor nicely.

Still, it's an extremely good ultra-portable for macOS users.

5. evec macrumors regular

Better to get 2016 unless you can get a new 2015 very attractive price.
    The 2015 problem is easy to overheat the motherboard and CPU and hard to recovery that 2016 model.

The design of MacBook is capability for the CPU remain run under around 7-8W in ambient temp 25C, so anything higher that this wattage will need cool down, and Core M CPU may boost the speed and use up to 20W in very short time.

6. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

I agree with the fact that you should get the 2016 unless you get a great price on the 2015.

I disagree on the fact that the 2015 overheats though...I have a 2015 model and it has yet to overheat in the year I've had it.

7. evec macrumors regular

If you just use web browsing or view video it not easy to overheat, however if you run something more intensive the 2015 will more easy especially the 1.2ghz and 1.3ghz get CPU throttle down dynamic.

8. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

no problems on my 2015 with any program, including Photoshop or any Adobe CC. Not trying to be argumentative, but it's just not true that EVERY 2015 overheats. I do far more than just web browsing

9. andy9l macrumors 68000

I think by 'overheat' they mean thermal throttle - quite common on any Mac. Apple rely on thermal throttling over more appropriate cooling designs because, well, "thin".

10. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Awesome input guys, thanks so much.

I love the 2016's but can pickup a 2015 for ~700-800, the price difference is just too great to justify. Most intensive thing i'll do is maybe some photoshop and indesign - but not often at all, and definitely not intense editing.

11. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

This is my use case. Hardly basic use, but not graphics or video intensive "creative" prosumer use:

"12" rMB is the professional workhorse. Finance and Management consulting is my business, and I am on the go everyday - whether it be foot, car, train, plane. 4 Safari windows with 4-6 tabs open in each one, several large Excel, Powerpoint, Numbers, and Keynote files open at once, 8 email accounts in Mail App, several tabs of Finder, Messages, Notes, Adobe Creative Cloud, mostly Acrobat, and two Dropbox accounts syncing continuously with multiple active shared folders...the thing doesn't blink! Really impressed and gratified by the performance. Did the 1680x1050 modification to address the one and only weakness it had in my book (screen real estate), and it is by far the best laptop I've ever had anything to do with."

Just to address the external monitor issue. True that the rMB doesn't handle that as well as a MBP, but that is only true in the 4-5K realm. I've had great experiences with quality 1440p monitors. Also true that it wasn't designed to be a home media server/hub and be editing HD video on a 4K monitor while streaming audio in the background.

You'll be extremely happy with the 2015 model provided your use case is as you describe. Favourite computer I've ever owned...I returned a fully loaded maxed out BTO 2016 15" MBP to come back to this little guy, I missed him so much!

12. nordique macrumors 6502a

You are smart to do so. The performance between the 2015 and 2016 is not noticeable.

I did the same thing as I got a brand new 2015 MacBook for just over 900$ CAD whereas the 2016 version would have cost me significantly more at about 1600$ CAD

My own uses with 2016 vs 2015 yielded similar results. Sounds like you have a similar price difference as I did, and For that price difference, it's just foolish to get the 2016 one. Definitely go with the 2015 one.

My 2 cents as I had a similar dilemma in a similar position to you a few months ago.

13. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Hope this years model is quicker and has another port

14. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I may be picking up a 2016 today. There is a local 2nd hand electronics store selling a 1.2GHz 2016 with 512 for $970. Can't pass that deal up, even though its a bit more than I wanted to spend. Will update thread after I head up there.

15. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

16. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

That's the only thing that would really make me want to upgrade from my 2015 model.

17. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

same here - I'd probably upgrade to a 2017 model for another port (and second gen keyboard) from my 2015 model even though I love this thing.

18. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

Great to read this! almost the same as my use case.
    One question tho,
    can you define large excels? are we speaking about 2mb files or more? because where I work they love to build formulas on pivots on formulas for 100k lines, making excels up to 50mb and higher. (ridiculous i know)

(I'm also aware Excel works only on one core for now. MS confirmed working on this for 2018)