Considering a 32Gb iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by r3loaded, Jul 4, 2008.

1. r3loaded macrumors newbie

r3loaded

Hey guys, just received some spare cash and am considering buying a 32Gb iPod Touch with it. Thing is, I have about 58Gb of music on my laptop. I don't necessarily mind picking and choosing the songs I like best so they'll fit on, but I'd prefer to avoid it.

Basically, can I expect Apple to announce a 64Gb iPod Touch in early September time? Any point waiting around or should I just bite the bullet and get a 32Gb one now?

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I recommend waiting until september unless you really can't. It's unlikely that they'll have 64gb but they will probably drop the 8 and bring the 16/32 down $100, plus add some cool new features. Then 64gb will fit right into the lineup when the price of 32gb flash chips come down (touch uses 2x()gb chips if that confused anyone) anyway, good luck

3. illidian macrumors 6502

A 64GB Touch is still far off, unless Apple is going to offer a $799 iPod.

There are plenty of creative ways to get your music onto your iPod.

4. DCBass macrumors 6502

Might as well wait if it's not pressing...

If you can wait till september, then you may as well wait.

I"m not terribly confident that a 64 gb version will come out then, but at the very least I think it's reasonable to expect the 32gb version to drop in price. Perhaps even as much as $100.

So, if your ideal touch isn't released, at least you'll save some money.

Cheers,
    DCBass

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

64gig is still a ways off, get a 32, and if you want to sell it and upgrade whenever (if) a 64 comes out

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Right now, as it currently stands, the iPhone will have half of the memory that the Touch has due to the number of memory sockets (iPhone - 1, Touch - 2) in each device.

The iPhone 3G is being released with 16GB so this indicates no memory upgrade for the Touch in the near future.

However, gut feeling makes me think that we will see an upgrade in September/October when iPods are generally updated. But who knows.

The old adage of buy what you need today still holds true. Otherwise you can end up waiting forever to enjoy new technology.

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

If you want to carry all your music with you, I don't think you will ever be able to do that for long periods of time. You will keep adding music to your library and max out an iPod whether it is 8gb-200gb or whatever.
    I don't worry about it, I just let iTunes select songs with smart playlists I have set up, and go down the road.
    That is why I bought the 8gb. I just couldn't see ever wanting to carry all my music, photos, videos or whatever all the time. That is what my laptop is for.
    Just my thoughts.

8. FishStik5 macrumors newbie

If you're really worried about space, just get an iPod classic.

9. wizard macrumors 68040

I have to agree to a point.

The issue is that of the 64 GB iPod Touch, think it is very doable in September with a long shot to 128 GB. Many companies have introduced 32 GB flash ships this spring, two of those would give us 64 GB. 128 would be a stretch as it would require Apple to go with expensive stacked multi chip packaging in the current Touch. From a marketing stand point a 128 GB might be required though even if expensive.

The problem is for the Touch to maintain sales over the 3G iphone it needs to develop its own set of unique features or reasons for its existence. Significantly more storage than iPhone is one way to distinguish the machine. It will be interesting to see what else Apple does to Touch to keep it viable. By the way I'm not discounting the idea that the lack of a Cell Phone is a big advantage for Touch, it is just that if you are on the fence the current pricing schemes really make for internal arguing about which is the best way to go. Indecision is not good so Apple will have to crank up the Touches feature set.

Now I could be optimistic but I certainly wouldn't buy the current capacity iPods when you already know that they won't come close to covering your storage needs.

Dave

10. wizard macrumors 68040

This is correct with respect to current hardware.
    This does not wash though. Apple has several choices with respect to upgrading the Touch. They could rejig the mother board for an additional socket which may be easy to do if a new chip set si ready to go. They may go to stacked flash chips which is something Samsung currently offers. They have the option of offering newer flash technology to reach the magic 64 GB level.

Offering newer technology gives them the option of justifying a higher price on the Touch. Plus it also deals with the number one complaint that they receive with respect to Touch. That is the lack of storage space.
    After the new lower price on iPhone I think this is a given. Technology moving forward would have driven Apple to do so any ways.
    This is so true but when the technology just isn't there you either make do with what is or wait. Sometimes waiting makes more sense, especially right now when the projected update isn't that far off and there is an issue with the pricing structure.

Frankly in the original posters case I don't think he will be enjoying swapping music files in and out of his iPod constantly. There are many ways to enjoy a Touch and just as many to lead to frustration. In this case I think waiting for a larger capacity Touch or considering a classic is in order.

As to the issue of costs, people really need to keep an eye on the Flash market and the prices of things like SSD. In a very real sense the prices are dropping like a rock, just look at Apple recent price drop on the AIR's SSD. If not the AIR's SSD look at pricing on such from the on line vendors, the pricing of compact flash or other storage devices. What I'm basically saying is that if Apple works the right dea,l with a supplier, it will be very possible to have a 64GB Touch at close to the current selling price of the high end model. It is certainly a question of just how aggressive they want to be but I see Apple wanting to keep the lock they have on media players.

Dave

11. r3loaded thread starter macrumors newbie

r3loaded

Right, I've gone and bought a new 32Gb one off eBay, mainly because it was so much cheaper - £225 as opposed to £330(!). Hopefully will be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday. I don't think capacity will be so much of a problem as I have mostly complete albums and I don't listen to every song on every album.

I've got a feeling September will bring price cuts, possibly dropping the 8Gb model rather than a new iPod Touch as I can't see many ways that Apple can currently improve it.