Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Considering signing a 2 yr contract with att to get a iphone 3 gs .. not sure white or black yet.

any known problems with these units? is apple care recommended?

i think i saw the cheapest plan would come out to 78bucks a month.

any tips?

thanks for any info you can throw at me

edit::::: What case is the best? link me if you can. Thanks a bunch

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
First thing, screen protector of your choice. I would recommend the anti glare you can get it at apple or online in the apple store. Also a case, just to save it from the drops and scratches if you care about that.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
As much as I wanted the white iPhone, as soon as I saw it in the store I went for the black...the white gets too much dust/dirt on it...at least it did in the store.

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
First thing, screen protector of your choice. I would recommend the anti glare you can get it at apple or online in the apple store. Also a case, just to save it from the drops and scratches if you care about that.

Thanks, I'll check out that screen protector. this is the info i was looking for.

what case would you recommend ?

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Thanks, I'll check out that screen protector. this is the info i was looking for.

Please consult here for case questions. Please do some of your own research. Lets not turn this thread into a "which case is for me?" thread. I'm not bashing you, its just that question has a way of devolving a thread into nothing but case stuff, and you asked for tips and help for a new iPhone owner.

Please consult here for case questions. Please do some of your own research. Lets not turn this thread into a "which case is for me?" thread. I'm not bashing you, its just that question has a way of devolving a thread into nothing but case stuff, and you asked for tips and help for a new iPhone owner.

agreed, also OP go to YouTube and just search for "iPhone 3gs Case"

admo

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
I would get apple care. As for cases, I like the Griffin Wave case.

I use that case too! Bought it on a whim at WalMart and really like it. Two pieces, snaps together nice and tight. Gives the iPhone just a slight bump in bulk which I like, and has a great rubbery texture to it. I took it off the other day to see how the phone felt, and it just felt too light and slippery for me. I really prefer this case. A lot of posts in forums state that it scratches the bezel, but I haven't noticed anything. Just be careful I guess.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008

There are so many cases that I would recommend I would say try them and you'll see what you like. I started out with the incase slider line, had about 3 of them. After a while I switched to the agent 18 ecoshield. SO far it has been my favorite case. Much like the slider, but it shows the bezel and is thinner but the sides has silicon bumpers that are thin but for added grip. Also all areas except for the charger port, silent switch and headphone jack. All but those areas are covered with silicone for protection.
Also the incase slider and some other cases will scratch the back of your phone sometimes if there is dust or dirt getting in. This agent 18 has been the 1st to me that hasn't done any extra scratching. http://www.agent18.com/productdetail/iphones/ecoshield-slider-for-iphone/136.aspx

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'd also suggest Applecare. I finally decided to get it on the very last day that I could have -- and it turned out my phone was replaced this weekend. Saved me some money.

TheCookie

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Boston
Had my 3GS since the day they shipped. No screen protector, very thin skin on the back. It depends upon how you're using it and how clumsy you are... but if you can avoid dropping the thing, then there's little reason to need a case/screen protector IMO.

It defeats a lot of the attractiveness of the phone!

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Tip: never use it as a hammer.

Tip: never drop it in molten lava.

Tip: never use it as a mic in the shower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.