Considering a BB Bold 9930...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spin360, Dec 2, 2011.

1. spin360 macrumors member

Not to replace my 4S! My work place does not allow camera phones so right now I am using a dumb phone on another line while at work. Right now I'm considering buying a Bold 9930 without a camera to use on the same line as my 4S. Here's my question...

How difficult is it to switch back and forth with the iPhone and a BB? I know if it were an LTE device, the 4G sim card would make that impossible. However the Bold 9930 is not an LTE phone so I should be okay there. What do you guys think? The switch would be occurring twice a day...

2. dylanursula macrumors 6502

I spent a year trading SIMs from a Bold to an iPhone over the weekend. Only prob. is youll hate the BB lol. I assume the 9930 is a microSIM?

----------

Forgot to say, all you need is a paper clip to open the SIM tray on the Iphone.

3. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I assume you are with Verizon?

If so, turn off the phone you will not be using, on the phone you WILL be using you dial *228 option 1 then the phone number, wait for the music, and the phone will be activated. You may occasionally have to call Verizon to help if this method doesnt work.

That SHOULD do it, but I don't know if Blackberry still has the unique data packages they had back when I had the Storm and I would go back and forth with a Droid.

Good luck.

4. spin360 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should've noted that this is on Verizon, so no SIM card (besides 4G SIM). I would need to either switch it online, which didn't work so well for me when I tried this with a Droid Bionic (LTE), or by dialing *228. In theory it sounds like it could work without hiccups, but I have my suspisions that reality may show otherwise.

5. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

If you're talking about Syncing, the only thing that would be synced would be your contacts and I believe also your e-mails. Your texts and other messages would not be, like Call Logs.

I use GMail for my e-mail and it keeps it current on both my BB Curve and my iPod Touch. Contacts are updated too, but I think that's more because of Google Contacts rather than anything else. Not sure.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd look very closely at switching to a two-line family plan with the Bold on the 2nd line and set the iPhone to forward calls during the day.

7. spin360 thread starter macrumors member

I have already added a second line to the family plan, but it's a dumb phone. I cannot justify adding another data plan however, that's an additional $360+tax a year.

8. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

I recommend getting Sprint (if signal is good in your area). I have 3 lines on it. When I was on Verizon I paid the same price for one line.

I came from the BB9930. Great phone for business and work. Keyboard is amazing. It's no iPhone but it is incredible.