Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I want to get a long term storage solution that has hot swappable drives and allows for multiple i/o solutions. I was looking at a drobo but I think the prices are outrageous and I can't determine if the fs or s is right for me long term. I was looking at the pegasus but there really isn't enough info about it, i don't even know if it does what the drobo does.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Considering the fact that he wouldn't load his Drobo up with SSDs, is there really an advantage to hooking one up through Thunderbolt?

His listed computers don't even support the interface!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Considering the fact that he wouldn't load his Drobo up with SSDs, is there really an advantage to hooking one up through Thunderbolt?

His listed computers don't even support the interface!

Most people generally keep their storage arrays much longer than their computers. I think the advice to wait for TB is sound. You want enough headroom to connect to the type of computers you will own over the life of the storage array.

Personally... I would wait for TB support just in case he decides to attach it directly to a single computer at some point. I would also make sure that it supports 1GB ethernet for use as a NAS (this is probably easy).

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.