Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Considering Graphic Design as well

I'm a freshman at college as well, and I'm considering going into graphic design, even though my school doesn't really have a program for it. They do, however, offer a Web Page Design certificate program, which I might pursue. I, like the original poster, am also very into writing, and serve as the sports editor at my school's newspaper. So right now I'm thinking of pursuing that certificate, and then minoring in journalism (not offered as a major).

You can certainly do both, you just have to know how to.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Do what you love. If it's Graphic Design, it's Graphic Design. If it's writing.. WRITE!

Don't underestimate the power of passion for your work in making it. You don't really want to get into the wrong business for too long. You might lose the passion for what you really love. I tried being an engineer because - well, I could make the grades and Engineers can rake in the dough - but I hated it for the two years in in the Engineering program. So I switched to VisCom my 3rd year in College and have loved every minute of my life since. I'll be a better happier, and more successful designer than I ever would have been as an engineer.

Sure, it might be difficult to make it as a writer, but if that's what you love and that's your talent DO IT.

I've run into too many designers who hate it. They're miserable people. It's an easy profession to be miserable in.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
There is always a need for copywriters with great design sensibilities. Maybe you could blend your interests. Many copywriters I work with can also draw some bada$$ storyboards - better than my own sometimes. Those are the kind of CWs that are always in high demand in agency circles.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
It's always fun when a client hands you a 3.5" Floppy diskette with a MS Pub file on it and says, "I need 200 of these by tomorrow."

Fun times.

ry4n

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2005
don't listen to everyone elses advice.. do what YOU want..

i'm a graphic communications major and i love it.. i have an art (read painting/drawing) background but you don't need that.. all i do is rough sketches.. illustrator makes you look and feel like a pro, adn the creativity in your head is jsut as important of how you can put in on paper with your bare hands..

get into it and do an internship.. don't listen to these people say how hard it is or that you don't get paid.. i'm doing an internship this semester (writing this from work as a matter of fact).. i've got my own desk, a cube with a window, and a hell of a paycheck.. and i'm only a sophmore, and i'm learning more than i've ever learned in school.. i love it..

go out and get into it and then find an internship, and then you'll see what you think about it..

shoot away with the questions, i'll let ya know anything else i know/feel..

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
ry4n said:

i'm a graphic communications major and i love it.. i have an art (read painting/drawing) background but you don't need that.. all i do is rough sketches.. illustrator makes you look and feel like a pro, adn the creativity in your head is jsut as important of how you can put in on paper with your bare hands..

get into it and do an internship.. don't listen to these people say how hard it is or that you don't get paid.. i'm doing an internship this semester (writing this from work as a matter of fact).. i've got my own desk, a cube with a window, and a hell of a paycheck.. and i'm only a sophmore, and i'm learning more than i've ever learned in school.. i love it..

go out and get into it and then find an internship, and then you'll see what you think about it..

shoot away with the questions, i'll let ya know anything else i know/feel..

You are just lucky, don't assume that what everyone else says is untrue. After all, you have only just started.

Btw, it shows how much you know when you say you don't need an art background. All that says is that YOU don't need it in you current job.

If you have a good job then fine, good luck with that, but don't make it smell like a bed a roses when it doesn't generally, not for everyone. You are an exception, not the rule.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
Oh, and of course... everybody's a designer. :rolleyes:
Everybody thinks they have a highly refined aesthetic sense and the ones with the biggest mouths are the ones who want you to lay it out in Arial.

Hey Blue Velvet- Make the logo bigger! ;)

So true... everybody thinks your job is really easy, and aren't shy about offering really horrible input- most notably in my case the AEs and of course the client!

As far as the college part of it- be prepared to shoulder a much larger workload than those around you with different majors. Their classes may be an hour apiece- yours will probably be three and a half. Their daily homework may take three hours- yours will probably take six. If you get into it and find that you aren't having to put that kind of work in- just know there are thousands more out there that are and are getting ahead of you in line. The redeeming factor (at least for me) is that if you love it, there is extreme satisfaction gained from putting all of that work in.

You really have to know you're into it before you go for it.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
ry4n

Wow that's a great concept :rolleyes: I wish my professor would have saved me some money with the don't need it statement.
Just wait untill that "one" important client wants something extra and you may not have an understanding as to a style say...Hopper that they want to portray and with lack of care or "background" you give him Ashcan type art thinking it's close, that illustrator made you look and feel like a pro.
If you can draw with your hands just think how much better your work in illustrator could be. Without it some drawings would be crap no matter what and that cube will always be a cube.
Last...your employers that are at the top of the game are well educated and have that understanding of "background" or the type of medium that they are working with and will see lack there of....

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
decksnap said:
Hey Blue Velvet- Make the logo bigger! ;)

*Sigh* :D

It's true about the easy part and many people think it's a lot of fun, too...
After all, it's just painting pretty pictures, isn't it?

willnight

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2005
happiness is doing something that makes you feel fulfilled, everyday

here are some words of wisdom to your thoughts:

dferrara said:
...Graphics Design is all or nothing for 4 years...

if you think this way, happiness comes harder. allow yourself options always: look for grays and not see things "all or nothing". there are always choices.

...the deadline for applying is already over...stay another year.

as you are (i'm presuming) still younger, take the extra year as an opportunity to explore and enjoy your college years. there are *a lot* out there, academic as well as life itself.

i went for 5 years because i didn't know graphic design existed. i started off with liberal arts and science. the classes i had to take that first year weren't "wasted" (maybe with the exception of calculus, which i can say at this point in my life, is useless to me). i spent a semester learning design in england. it was refreshing to see how people think outside of the u.s.

i too was inspired to pursue "doing something artsy with the computer" when i first saw an image in a mailer sent to my high school by a little college in illinois. i knew i wanted to make things like that. since i didn't know any better, i nearly pursued computer science instead of graphic design.

Minneapolis is 2nd in the nation for graphics designers

always look to the best and be with the best. exploit this and use it to your advantage.

with a lot of excellent firms and studios, advertising etc...probably not have much trouble finding a decent job...

this is good, but also depends: realize that if you are *not* good at graphic design (or any profession for that matter), they won't want you. the market is so saturated with self-proclaimed untrained designer that employer can shake a tree and get a couple of dozens. unfortunately only the weak fruits fall first.

I've always wanted to be a writer

this is the most important thing you've said. do whatever you can to make this real. you will have bad day where you will doubt this feeling, but those days will pass. practice and do it. live it, breathe it, eat it, drink it. let the passion for it come through. great things will happen for you when you are happy at fulfilling this desire.

I've always enjoyed and been proficient at both...making websites and graphics, these have always been "fun" -- but I wouldn't consider them the same type of goal as being a writer...

this is the second most important thing that you know about yourself. you can always write as a career and do design as a hobby. the key word is hobby. to be a professional graphic/web designer requires focused dedication. unless if you happen to be multi-talented, you may do both as professions. more power to ya!

copywriting and design do go hand-in-hand, but *usually* are fulfilled by two different parties in a design office. it is simply not physically and creatively feasible to perform both tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines.

a word of warning: when you write (as when you paint), you do it to fulfill *your own* desires. whereas effective (emphasis on "effective") graphic design, your product must be fulfilled for others. remember this: graphic design is a child of art and business. so know which is your temperament: for myself or for others.

If I did Graphic Design, I would still probably pursue being a writer. However, I don't know how much time I would have for that, or how much being an English major would help my writing...

it sounds like your want to make the right decision and you are being cautious. these are good quality to have.

let me stress this: you are still younger (notice i'm not saying "young")... just *do*. take design classes. take english. take writing. dip and dab in everything you have time to do. this is the time to explore. college is also a great opportunity to say "nah, this is not for me" and move on to something else. you are at the stage in your life where you are your own compromise, and don't have to make big sacrifices. your decisions effect, for the most part, yourself and not anyone else (say like a spouse or your child(ren)).

being cautious helps you to progress safely. being over-cautious hinders and gives rise to doubt.

Another option would be Psychology, as I'm very personally interested in it and would like to conduct research through the university about depression. I've also started a depression-awareness group on campus. With Graphics Design, this would probably be hard to do as a minor. I hear the workload is crazy.

again, g.d. requires focused dedication. if psychology and design are both "minor" interested, i would not recommend taking both.

my wife has high career satisfaction as a child psychologist. she feel good at what she does and knowing that she makes a difference in another , at least one, person's life for the better.

kudos to you in wanting to help others. you can always volunteer this part of your desire and time.

also graphic design has a lot to do with psychology as it appeals to your audience's subliminal thoughts and desires. understanding people's thoughts and emotions make your design even stronger and more appealing.

...I'm not very fond of cubicles (who is?) but if I have a Mac and some windows (pun not intended) I would be OK...

it sounds like you can be just happy with very little; that is good. after working with dynamic and open-minded small design offices, i have, alas! ironically found myself in a cubicle now. the environment here is ... wing-strapping... for me. as a designer, my mind is always active and this place has few things that really test my design limits.

this was a hard choice i had to make (referencing back to compromising and sacrificing that i mentioned earlier): i work here so that i can be a safety net for my family: insurance, job stability, etc. i am lucky though: i am still geting paid well for doing graphic design.

it is really up to you and your choices that will put you where you want to be. if you don't like cubicles, don't work for a place that would put you in one! find a place with a window and a mac. most smaller designer offices will fulfill this part as a prerequisite to enhance their creativity.

Money isn't really a big thing (or else being a writer would suck)...

this is another important thing for you. and this will lead up to my conclusion...

So, that's my dilemma...

it is a dilemma. it also doesn't have to be. i went through the same feelings. the difference is, you have the internet and web sites like this to solicit thoughts from all walks of life.

think about the experience that they shared. think about what you really want. where do the two meet? have they help answered your own question?

i think you like writing a lot. it's natural. i would pursue that as a "major" and learn all you can to become a good writer. on days when you feel saturated with writing, jump on your mac and design. visit design how-to sites; join a design forum, or better yet a club (aiga.org is the graphic designer's "club") and go to functions. immerse yourself and make friends with designers. here's and idea: write a book on graphic design as this well-known writer/designer did (http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm?Alias=philip_meggs) and his book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471291986/104-9477540-8319909)

when you feel a bit too selfish in all your creative endeavors, reach out and share and teach others. art and doing art helps people (especially kids) to cheer up. it allows them to express their feelings. you can tie this in to your counseling group at school. my wife started out as an art major. then she saw the connection with art and how it helps children express themselves in very basic language. then this progressed to her being interested in the behavior and psychology of children.

life, like art, is about patterns and repetition. it's like the proverbial tapestry. there is a connection to everything if you learn where to look and what to look for. and the best way to learn this is to expose yourself and explore everything!

My parents are encouraging either way but they seem to favor the certainty of a design major...Do I have to be a total design freak for this major? Would it be a mistake if I wasn't

they, like most parents, want you to go into life with some cash in you pocket. it helps. becoming a graphic designer can fulfill that, no doubt. it helps if you were a design freak (whatever that means :rolleyes: ). i find that when i'm exposed to something and begin to know more about it, i helps to decide whether i like it or not. (i've recently gotten into dinosaurs; they are so absolutely amazing to me!).

having money doesn't necessarily mean one is rich. happiness makes us rich. when we're happy, good things happen. when we're happy, we can in turn reach out and share the happiness with others. *that* is having a rich life.

in regards to "mistake": we all are prone to making mistakes. only a fool thinks he never makes them. college also a good time for you to make mistake if you did. the pressure is not as great compared to making a mistake when you get out and "join the world." see mistakes as a learning tool, you know. just say "oh, crappola" and move on. don't dwelve on them.

oh my! i could have written a book already! well, i don't feel awkward for writing so much. you *did* ask.

i would be curious to know how you will progress... anyway, have fun!

ry4n

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2005
decksnap said:
hmmm... OK. Let's just say it's highly recommended.

again.. i'll stand by what i said.. art and creativity are not the same thing.. you dont need an art background its that simple.. but creativity you do need..

you can tell me i'm wrong all day long, that won't bother me a bit.. i understnad what i need, and what i have and where it's gotten me..

the bottom line is do what you want like i said earlier.. none of these people know you, i dont know you, you know you.. do what you want.. and what you enjoy..

willnight

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2005
it's subjective, unfortunately

ry4n said:

ry4n said:
the bottom line is do what you want like i said earlier.. none of these people know you, i dont know you, you know you.. do what you want.. and what you enjoy..

it's a bit ironic in your quotes: it's as if you want the original poster to make his own mind, but at the same time, you are so aggressive in imposing your opinion. it sounds like you are trying to prove something...

you've made your point. you're right. you don't need anything to be a graphic designer, not even a mac. i think you're lucky to have found what works for you and that you're cool with it. i hope you continue to feel fulfilled.

i'd like to stress this though: if the original poster didn't give a damn what everyone else thought, he would have not even posted his question. i think that's what it means when someone solicits thoughts on a public forum: they do care what others think.

in *my humble opinion* (and this opinion is for the original poster), after having been a graphic designer for 12+ years, working for quite a few large city design firms, both as web/graphic designer and art director, and having acquired a few awards, i would have to agree with poster decksnap that an art background is highly recommended.

if i were consdering to hire between 2 candidates of equal caliber but one has an art background, i would not even hesitate to select the one with the more well-rounded resume: the one with the art background... and film, and psychology, and writing, and marketing, and among other different and variety of classes the candidate may have chosen to take in college. i know if i hired this person, i'll have good conversations on a daily basis which will mutually stimulate our creativity.

with art background under your belt, your design has meaning not just for yourself, but for your audience as well. nothing exists in a vacumm. understanding design, how and where it came from, brings your design to a higher level of appeal. design that speaks to a wider audience has more timeless quality as it speaks to people with different background and experience.

pure creativity alone can become selfish and indulgent. it can become an visual orgy of one, of that one designer. depending on what's hot at the moment, and with luck, it may appeal to more people. creativity is the critical ingredient in graphic design. however, like cooking, if it's put in the pot by itself, it is just that: one ingredient. then it is like boiling water: one dimensional. it is what it is. no more no less.

graphic design has one subtle difference next to fine art: it is meant for the masses. it is meant to communicate to a wide audience. it is meant as a *tool* to persuade, whether to buy a product, a belief, a proproganda, etc. it is meant for others, not just for one self.

look at apple for example. the company has a vision: to merge computing with our everyday life without becoming an intrusion; to make computing accessible and easy to understand; to appeal to the casual population of users who are, for the most part, novice in their knowledge of the computer. at the same time, it knows the other set of users: the hacks and the fans.

with this vision, apple's line of product, both on a product design and graphic design level, are simple yet powerful; creative yet non-intrusive; avant garde yet familiar. they understood the needs of the user, the wider audience, and designed accordingly with controlled creativity.

whereas windows products have always been technologically cryptic and visually harsh, dumbed-down to the point of useless. i am an adept computer user, but i don't understand why ms word---for as long as it has been around---cannot be designed to have a better user interface and intuitive workflow. and it is, essentially, the same as when it first came out.

now look at the new mac application, pages. it is the first version, and for all practical purposes, it could be the only version for all i care. it makes you wonder: why ms word can't be like pages after all these years?

my point is, windows xp may seem like a creative overhaul, but it actually is just good ol' win2000 with a new outfit. and like the fads, outfits come and go. this drive back to the idea of timeless graphic design and contemporary design: it is a matter of taste and of your temperament.

unfortunately, graphic design is highly subjective: subjective in that there is no wrong design. it's more like what is *appropriate* design for a set audience. as one poster stated in this thread, "everyone is a designer."

with technology being soooo affordable and accessible, anyone can take a digital picture (or scan one in), put it in a layout application, add some clip arts to "jazz" it up, key in some "catchy" headline in a font available by default: arial, impact, trebuchet, papyrus, etc. (or better yet from the 5000 fonts cd collection), and finally drop in some color.

that is graphic design. it *is* graphic design as it has fulfilled many criteria for what graphic design is. the question is: do you serve up a bucket of "death by chocolate" ice cream to a diabetic?

the short version of this post is this: it's good to seek other's opinions and agree/refute with some degree of understanding and usefulness. :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
decksnap said:
hmmm... OK. Let's just say it's highly recommended.

I don't see it as any more valid than a knowledge of Design History.

And yes, I do separate Design History from Art History.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
iGav said:
And yes, I do separate Design History from Art History.

A decent grounding of typographic principles & history is essential to be a decent designer IMHO.

You can have an entire career as an artist not having to worry about type, but a design project without type is a pretty rare thing.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Well why would you? Design History IS just as important. But weren't we talking about a background in art as in the fundamentals of art, not art history? (BTW, all three are important and necessary to achieve a BFA in Graphic Design)

The art 'background' that comes into play is things like color theory, 2D and 3D Design, Typography, Illustration, etc. The history is the other half of it, but arguably equally as important.

History of Graphic Design was one of my most beneficial courses actually.

ry4n

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2005
in reference to will's post above..

i agree with you.. and my posts have more had two unclear points.. do what you want, and if you're afraid you can't because of no art background, dont let that be the limiting factor..

i totally agree with your post though, and i do think i'm sometimes clouded by what i take for granted.. the reason my posts may have come off bad sounding is i felt like people were pushing the poster away based soley on teh fact of no art background..

but original poster.. whoever you are.. listen to will's post above..

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
decksnap said:
But weren't we talking about a background in art as in the fundamentals of art

Not uniquely no, I was merely raising a point. Throughout this thread there has been much discussion of choosing an artist, and art history, and art theory and the fundamentals of art yet very little about choosing a designer or a typographer, or design history, or design theory or the fundamentals of design which are surely more relevent in a thread about Graphic Design.

Blue Velvet said:
A decent grounding of typographic principles & history is essential to be a decent designer IMHO.

And I'm utterly astonished that this isn't being discussed more in a topic about Graphic Design.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
decksnap said:
[snip]

As far as the college part of it- be prepared to shoulder a much larger workload than those around you with different majors. Their classes may be an hour apiece- yours will probably be three and a half. Their daily homework may take three hours- yours will probably take six.

[snip]

This is very true; It's not really a reason to go one way or the other, but still very very true. We received 3 credit hours for attending class 7 hours a week, while every other class in the Uni was 3 hours credit for 2.75 hours of class. Let's not even discuss the amount of time in homework, cost for extra materials, extra fees for the classess imposed by the college etc.

Our History of Design course was flexible as far as when we had to take it, but I sure wish I had taken it earlier. What a great class; so critical.

Anyway, my position is still: If you're really into design, go for it. If you're really into something else do that instead.

willnight

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2005
touching the surface

iGav said:
Not uniquely no, I was merely raising a point. Throughout this thread there has been much discussion of choosing an artist, and art history, and art theory and the fundamentals of art yet very little about choosing a designer or a typographer, or design history, or design theory or the fundamentals of design which are surely more relevent in a thread about Graphic Design.

And I'm utterly astonished that this isn't being discussed more in a topic about Graphic Design.

well.. it seems you're passionate about graphic design and looking forward to discuss what you know.

keep in mind though---and this is not to say whether you are right or wrong---of the original poster's intentions and level of commitment to the idea of being a graphic designer.

sure, we can all talk about zapf and his crazy fonts and the anal swiss grids until the topics grow old, but it really is moot if the original poster is not (yet) aware of these things. he is merely feeling it out. from the sound of it, he is a design hobbyist trying to figure out if he wants to do it professionally. i really doubt if an in depth discussion on the topic itself with help him "find his calling."

wouldn't you think he would be intimidated and not be able to relate to a full-blown discussion of typography, not knowing who paul rand or jan tschichold are? or why april greiman's stuff was so avant garde and her relationship with the mac? and that pentagram is not perceived as witchcraft in the graphic design world, but rather betwitching, beautiful design?

what everyone offer in this thread, i think, was relevant to the original poster's needs: touching the surface and feeling it out what it would be like to be a graphic designer. if he *did* decide to pursue graphic design in college, his first year will probably require both graphic design history as well as art history. he'll have more than enough to talk about then! (especially having to remember all those names, movements and dates on exam day!)

and besides, this is *macrumors.com*, not aiga.org. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.