considering a hackintosh netbook.. SSD or HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brendu, Jul 31, 2009.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

hey im thinking of making myself a macbook mini by hackintoshing a dell mini10v. Heard everything works pretty normally on it... dilema is i want a decent size hard drive so i can get it with the 160gig hdd. but im really tempted to get the 16gig SSD and treat it as the netbook it is, only installing what i truly need. Safari, word, excel, email. thats about it.

thoughts on the drive? and also does anyone know of a better 10"+ netbook than this one, perhaps one that has or can have 2gigs of ram?

2. illidian macrumors 6502

The Mini 10v is great for hackintoshing.

IMO, go with the SSD. Add an 16GB SD card for $30. If you need more storage still, you can choose between swapping out SD cards or carrying a USB drive.

3. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

hadnt thought of usin the SD card, is 16gigs the biggest SD card the mini10 can read? if it can hold 32 im sold.

4. illidian macrumors 6502

I don't really know, I presume it can read 32GB. I recommended the 16GB as its the most economical right now.

Check before taking my word for that though, I don't have one.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If you think SSD will dramatically speed up your 10v, you'll be disappointed. I'm using a 120GB OCZ vertex SSD, but for vibration-free and lower-noise reasons. The speed difference is not significant compared to the stock HDD, at least not worth sacrificing the drive capacity to 16GB if that's all you can afford. You'll be much better off keeping the stock HDD.

Don't forget with the 10v, it's a pain to remove the cover for HDD and RAM upgrade. According to Dell, the RAM is not upgradable. If you fry anything during the upgrade, warranty won't cover it.

Finally, as for hackintosh, one big problem is the touchpad hardware does not support multi-touch. (only the mini 10 does, but the chipset is not compatible hackintosh)
    http://mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x/9316-10v-multitouch-mac-os-x.html