Considering a iPhone 3G on o2 ( UK )

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NStocks, Jan 19, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I have recently got the 2nd gen. ipod touch as it had a £95 rebate with my MBP. I am seriously considering getting a iPhone 3g. I have a few questions :

Is the 3G network secure, i.e. is it safe enough to log into my bank account etc.

Would it be better to get it on PAYG or contract... in the long term

I hate these questions but : Should I get it now or wait about 5 months, will there be a significant upgrade ? and if I bought now do you think the upgrade fee will still be around £99.

Generally, are iPhone owners happy with their iPhone, and if there are any students reading this, do you think it's worth it, has it helped you at Univeristy/college.

My primary use of getting the iPhone is just for the internet. checking emails, ebay etc as I don't spend more that £10/month.

NStocks

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

PAYG doesn't provide Visual Voicemail and you are only eligible for data streaming for a year, then after that it is £10/m. I'm on a contract - but PAYG is probably better value for money. Don't ask me why I didn't get PAYG..

In 5 months, there probably will be a new version. Can't say how much it'd be to upgrade though, but if you want an iPhone now, just go for it. There will always be a newer version coming at some point.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, I have being on o2 before but that was about 4 years ago and tariffs would have changed.

Say I get the iPhone on PAYG, i will get 12 months of internet service, the exact same service a contract iPhone offers correct ?

After 12 months I understand it's £10/month for the internet ( 3G ), and this will also be the same service before right ? With this monthly fee can I just pay for every month each time i.e. buy it in December, March, April etc.

Do you think there will be a chance of them giving me a FREE ipod touch ? I have being on the o2 forums and some people have had success at getting this, of course under the operators discretion. The reason I ask is because my Brother has being with 02 for 6 years and if I let him do the talking they may be kind...

I'm calling apple today because of some issues with a cheque I'm suppose to be getting issued for some reason, but I'm actually not suppose to get a refund because I'm keeping the Mac. I will try and get something else out of them ( they have already issued me the value of Mobileme for the 1st lot of troubles ).

NStocks

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

It is the same service as the contract, and I think you choose when you please to pay the £10, though you're better asking O2.

Why would you get a free iPod Touch?

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't know, but I know that some people have got one. From what I remember, they gave my brother a freebie a long time ago... and they drastically reduced his tariff... he's got a £400 ' smart phone ' ( which isn't !) for free and he only pays £10/month for 3G unlimited texts and 50 minutes.

I suppose giving them a call will generate the best answer

NStocks

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I got mine as PAYG for free, although without the PAYG sim. I'm using a simplicity sim instead which gives me 600mins, 1000txts and unlimited data for £20 a month (can cancel anytime) but no wifi which is fine since I have wifi at home/school...anywhere else & 3G will kick in

I just didn't see the point of locking myself into an 18 month contract for visual voicemail and call merging/conferencing. This setup gives me flexibilty and value for money (important for a starving student)

I thnk you should wait for the next version. Although you should be wary that that model may not be sold on PAYG

As for if it will help with school...it won't boost your grades or anything but it's a useful tool. I use mine to exchange emails with tutors and to look up lectures/articles/grades on the school's virtual learning site without needing to queue up for lab/library computers. You can also kill free time playing games

7. Volka macrumors newbie

I primarily use my iPhone 3g for the internet and its iPod features. Some of the Apps are pretty useful too. I used to have an iPod touch (which I recently sold for a good price on Ebay :D), so already had most of these features - I just wanted to have access to the internet anywhere, not just in places covered by wifi.

I rarely spend more than £10 a month on calls/texts, so decided to buy the phone on PAYG. When my 12 months free data & wifi runs out I will probably swap it for the £7.50/month data-only bolt-on as I've never used any of the Cloud/BT Openzone hotspots.

8. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds like a plan ! What is the best tarriff avaliable right not on o2, without having to top up £x first.

The biggest downside I can think of it when it's time to upgrade, you're on your own, because there is no upgrade fee, only that you need to buy it like anyone else. I guess it's nice not having to pay minimum £30/month but I need to work it out to see how long I'll be keeping it etc.

So you can get 3G bolt on for £7.50... that sounds a little better I guess

NStocks

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Well it's not 3G specifically, it's mobile data via any of the various types of packet data connection they support (GPRS, EDGE, or "3G" [UMTS/HDSPA]). The £7.50 bolt-on has a soft cap of 200MB and a hard one of about double that (i.e. they warn you at 200 and may charge you if you exceed that.) To my knowledge, the £10 bolt-on has no such cap.