Considering a Mac Pro to replace my MBP...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nungesser, Aug 20, 2008.

1. nungesser macrumors newbie

I'm a self-employed designer who does a lot of print design (heavy Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign use) and an equal amount of webdesign (mostly Fireworks). The more print work I do, the more my first-gen MBP (2 Ghz Core Duo) is showing its limits. If I've got any CS3 software open and launch iPhoto, for example, I'll just go get a sandwich -- my system's got to chew on that idea for awhile!

As much as I love the portability of my MBP, I'm considering going all-out and getting the latest mac pro & loading it up with aftermarket memory. I'm tired of waiting around while my Mac struggles to work with a large print file or complex Illustrator art.

My question is... is this overkill, or will the latest MBP models give me a dramatic improvement over my 1st-gen system? 95% of the time, my MBP is just plugged into an external monitor & keyboard anyway.

Any Mac Pro thoughts for a design "pro"?

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Do you need the portability firstly?

If the answer is no then get a Mac Pro (I can rhyme!)... Otherwise a top of the line iMac should be sufficient I would guess.

3. nungesser thread starter macrumors newbie

My current MBP is essentially just my desktop, it's plugged in most of the time. I don't need to stay portable, but if I had a Mac Pro I'd still have the MBP for times when I need portability.

The iMacs are great, but I've already got a 24" external monitor. I'd rather just have a new machine to plug into it.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If it's in your budget, get the Mac Pro. For you it's not just a purchase, it's a work investment.

According the the Buyer's Guide, it's coming to it's end cycle and there might be updates coming. Though, I'm not up on the latest speculation on Mac Pros.

5. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

get a mac pro. you won't regret it. plus you can always use the mbp to take on the road if you ever need/want to.

6. AppleGuy1980 macrumors member

The Mac Pro is dazzlingly powerful, so you certainly won't be disappointed, unless it's by the cost. If you have the money, I say do it. So far as portability goes, I don't know about you personally, but I've found that many people need power and portability, but not at the same time. You may need a computer you can take places, but you generally can return to your desk to do the heavy work if necessary. If this fits you, and I'm correct in understanding that you plan to keep the MBP, then the Mac Pro should fit your needs.

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I'd get a Mac Pro and keep the MBP around as your portable.

I bought an iMac a year back because it was half the price of a Mac Pro with a 23" ACD (I needed a new monitor, as well as a Mac). A year later, I find I need more power so I am moving to a Mac Pro.

I had a Core Duo MacBook since the day they launched, but also want a more powerful laptop. So I bought a MacBook Pro in June, sold the iMac and the MacBook, and will use the MBP until I get my Mac Pro, at which point the MBP becomes my portable.

8. Cymbal macrumors newbie

Since you will be keeping the MacBook Pro for portability, I would go for the Mac Pro if I was in that situation.

9. macdot macrumors 6502

I personally prefer laptops. Nice to have the portability.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with bpl323, but that is simply my perspective. Your needs are different. However, as portability is not really an issue, additionally, as you plan to keep the MBP, and as you actually need the spec of the Mac Pro for your work, I'd say go with the Mac Pro. Cheers and good luck.

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

This is for work then I would suggest getting one. If you think it will really increase productivity then I would advise in buying one. Only keep the MacBook Pro if you need the portability otherwise there's no point.