Considering a MacBook? BE WARNED

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MIDI_EVIL, Feb 7, 2008.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Ok, so my best friend has a MacBook Core Duo. Purchased on release date.

It has been in for so many repairs now and Apple have not, and said they WILL not replace the machine for a Core 2 Duo, which appear to have much less issues and seem to have been sorted out.

Problems: Whining, mooing, heat issues, fan issues, logic board issues, screen issues, hard-drive failure, wonky construction, weird burn mark on battery, audio jack issues and random shutdown...

2 x machines, 2 x Logic board replacements, 2 x screen replacements, 1 x hard-drive replacement, 2 x audio jack repair related to logic board fault, and they scratched up her battery with a screwdriver around the area which appears to have been burnt.

She has communicated with 3 different executive customer relations employees and not one of them seems to want to help.

Today, we got through to an engineer, who is dealing with the repair this time round.

This was a really nice guy, who had a MacBook himself. He has had a lot of these problems, and so has his tech engineer colleague who was sitting nearby.

He today admitted to us that the parts Apple use for the insides of their MacBooks are the most basic components available on the laptop market, and he is utterly dissapointed with the quality control on the numerous MacBooks he has had to deal with repairing.

I just wanted to express our disappointment with Apple here, and give a heads up to anyone considering a Core Duo machine, or even the newer MacBooks to be aware that the engineers themselves, are as disgusted as us.

Also, we don't know where to go with this anymore... She would like either a Core 2 Duo machine, an iMac for the same value, or her money back. Apple won't budge.

Is there anyone who's had any experience getting anywhere in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance

PS we've have already emailed s.jobs

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

That CD is a LEMON!! I must say that is a joke...that really is a joke that they will not replace the computer. I say call Apple again and don't accept "No" for an answer. That is complete BS that they wont replace it. It is clearly a defective unit. If Apple refuses to give you a new computer, take Apple to Small Claims court. Keep all your documents on the repair, pictures, etc. I would also get the repair guy to do something if he can. I would email SJ again and just say how pissed you are that you can't even use the computer that you spend over $1K on! When I issues with my iBook G4 over the summer, they wanted to repair it. I was done being nice so I said that I will not accept a repair and I would like to speak to a Rep. The Rep. saw the pictures and they sent a new one.

But for you, that is just nuts and I would call Apple Corporate or something to get this dealt with.

3. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Hello noodle,

Sorry, but what do you mean a rep? Do you mean executive relations rep? That's who we spoke to when we got a reply from the s.jobs email we sent out.

Apparently, according to the engineer we spoke to today, that the current executive relations contact we have is pretty high up, and she is very much set on getting the machine repaired again and certainly not replaced.

This is sickening, as my friend has probably been without her laptop more than she has been productive with it.

Should we threaten with trading standards?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Typical rule is 3 major hardware replacement within 1 year = new machine

Perhaps the person is talking to the wrong people. Have the person contacted Cust Relations yet?

5. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Yeah, on 3 different occasions. Executive customer relations is who we are dealing with now, and they said that they cannot offer a replacement.

Apparently it has to be 3 of the same issues to warrant a replacement??

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would have to agree, that the initial MacBook seems to have had way more problems than the rest. The initial MBP doesn't seem to have been much better.

The C2D's seem to have had alot less problems...

7. russtic macrumors member

are you in the UK?

If yes send a letter asking for full refund/exchange and give 7 days to reply.

If no reply or not satisfactory start small claim procedures. It is likely that they will either pay up or ignore the claim. In either case you will get the money.

Did this with PCWorld a few years ago after they sold me a lemon laptop. I won the case when the laptop was 14 months old and "out of warranty" however they had had laptop more than I.

Small claims courts in UK are based on the idea of 'reasonableness' it is clear that this is not reasonable.

If you are UK I can give some more info.

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you live in the US, I must direct you to this law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Here is part of that FEDERAL law:

Call them again and remind them of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 and remind them of what I just quoted. Then tell them that if they do not remedy the situation, that you'll be in contact with legal representation and the press.

Yes, this is hardball, but what they're doing to you is illegal under US law. You, as the consumer, have rights. I hope that you've kept the documentation of your repairs as well.

If you're in a different country, you may want to call legal representation or some organization that deals with companies shafting their consumers. You really shouldn't have to worry about legal fees, as it's typically the loser who pays legal fees and court room costs, and being that this is a pretty cut and dry case, Apple will probably want to settle without getting lawyers involved, since it will be a clear victory for you. Most companies don't expect the consumer to be aware of their rights, so they expect them to roll over.

9. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I am in the UK and would really appreciate any more information you could offer.

I am completely unaware of what a small claim is and how we would go about starting one?

Thank you all for your input, though!

10. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Curious

Have you requested a different rep?

Perhaps this one has it out for your friend?

11. Fezzasus macrumors regular

So not really a problem for anyone considering buying a macbook.

12. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

This is the third rep, and there isn't anyone to go higher with.

This is executive corporate relations.

Well, not if you want the componentry.

It seems you are paying a bigger premium for the OS than it seemed, because the componentry is the most basic on the market.

13. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Small Claims court is basically your option. That is what I would do.

14. russtic macrumors member

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

Gives a lot of the info you need.

You need to quote in your letter that you feel that the goods do not comply with the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) as it is not of sactisifactory quality nor is it fit for purpose.

There is some more info here http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0043-1011.txt

Small claims is very simple you mention the above laws and then specify exactly what happened providing as much evidence as possible eg receipts, repair notes etc.

Matt

15. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Although I understand your frustration.

You're broadcasting opinions as facts.

16. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

When you filed your claim through the small claims court put a scan of the summons you get too, woo you will be famous!

17. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Well, for a start I said 'It seems..."

I'm also going on what an Apple engineer had told us.

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Of course they are. A Macbook is a budget made-in-China PC with a TPM chip that allows it to run OS X without hassle. It isn't priced higher than its worth (a figure much closer to $500 than to $1100) because it's made of quality; it's priced higher because that's how Apple markets its laptops. If you take one apart, you'll find the same generic pieces you'd see in any other budget laptop, because that's what the Macbook is. People tend to forget that because we're on an Apple forum, but it's kind of an open secret everywhere else.

The quality control, however, is another issue. While the pricing is just Apple being greedy, the QC is just Apple being lazy. A $500 computer (like the Macbook, or an equivalent PC) won't break down any faster than a $2000 machine if it's made well. Unfortunately, manufacturers across the board don't pay much attention to quality when constructing their budget laptops.

19. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Just saying, even if it's from an Engineer doesn't add any factual credibility. Theoretically if it was truly the crappiest bottom of the barrel parts I believe we'd see a higher failure rate.

Cough Xbox 360???

Either way apple should have replaced your friend's macbook a long time ago...

I can't believe they haven't given you a new one.

20. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Suppose we were naive back then...

21. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Totally correct. I am going to say this....the MacBook is crap. Now that is just my opinion, but it is very crappy laptop. It is poorly made/designed and like you said above, uses cheap parts to keep the costs down.

22. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

And for the OP....Do what you can in the courts or whatever you do. Keep us posted on this, I would love to see what happens!

23. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Man I feel really bad for you, my situation was so much easier. I had one of the original 1.83 CD MacBook Pros. It had so many problems and was in for 3-4 repairs. Note, my MBP was also a refurb so when they arranged a replacement, she said she would have to give me another refurb. i said that was fine just get me a new computer. She said you're in luck today, I don't have any refurbs so I'll have to give you a brand new one. By that time they had released the first C2D models. So she sent me a 2.16 C2D. I had more problems with it so they had to send another one which was also DOA. And by that time they had released the Sanata Rosa models so I am now using the 2.2 model, lucky me.

JUST KEEP ASKING! :p I don't know why they just won't give you a new one.

I had:
    Fourteen dead pixels
    Loose Hinge
    x2 bad logic boards
    Bad bluetooth chip
    Case warping
    x2 broken audio jacks
    Busted screen
    Bad superdrive and the list goes on!

24. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Well, we are in the process of preparing a full blown assault on Apple customer relations this time round, quoting Trading Standards and offering a Small Claims Court appearance.

My friend's father (whos MacBook this is) is a manager at Fujitsu, and will help us along the way.

Thanks again everyone! Will keep this thread updated!

25. heatmiser macrumors 68020

No, you're not to blame. I hope you can get a working one or get your money back. Do keep us updated on how things turn out.