considering a macbook but I need some help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kuklenko, Dec 7, 2010.

1. kuklenko macrumors newbie

Hi forum goers, I am considering buying a macbook and I have wanted one for some time but I need some help (as the title suggests). First of all, I am currently using an oldIsh) sony vaio amd if I buy a macbook will I just be able to put any external hardrive into the macbook and it will recognise it when I transfer my documents and itunes between the two machines? Also, if I buy the MC windows package for it, can I just put my old documents onto the new macbook and they will be readable?

Thanks for your help :) Kuklenko

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes to the first question, but know that Mac OS X can only read NTFS formatted volumes (to write to it, it needs NTFS-3G) and can read and write to FAT32 formatted volumes, NTFS and FAT32 being the dominant file systems in Windows.

I don't know about the second part, as I don't know, what "MC windows package" is. Maybe you could clarify that bit a bit more or look on the homepage of that package and see, if there is a Mac OS X variant (Moodle Docs has a Mac OS X version) and if Windows and Mac OS X versions of documents created with that "MC" software are compatible with each other.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If it is just a standard USB or Firewire harddrive it will work with your MacBook. Not sure about the second question though.

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Not to sidetrack your purchase decision but I don't know why anybody would get a plain old macbook these days when for about $100 more (with the educational discount) the 13" macbook "pro" can be had.

5. iphone1105, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ummm, folks like me, ya know, NOT IN SCHOOL, can't get edu. discounts....also, ever consider people want the white color???
    Besides, I paid 799 for my late 09 MB on a sale at a local store, upgraded my own ram and HD, and still paid less than you did for yoru pro...

Also, consider people do have budgets, and $100 is $100, to sum, thats a lot of hardwork and saving, dont just assume bro!

Enjoy your MBP

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you are a bit devious and underhanded you could pretend you are a student. Its very easy to do. Not that I have done it, as I am a student :D On the online store no confirmation is needed when you say your a student. Just shop at the edu discount store instead of the normal one ;)

7. engram macrumors newbie

As a teacher I had access to the discount. That being said, I can think of reasons to go with a MacBook.

1. You prefer the white color to the aluminum.
    2. The polycarbonate may not resist scratches well, but it does absorb shock without denting (unlike my old aluminum case :mad:).
    3. Heat dissipation is more diffuse with the MacBook.
    4. You don't care about Firewire or an SD card slot.
    5. It is a normal modifiable laptop (like the MBP). I can max the RAM at 8GB (if it is a REV J) and install an SSD in the future.

Unless you are addicted to having the absolute newest Apple stuff*, the MacBook (or any other Mac) can be a workhorse for years.

*This way awaits madness.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why such a defensive response? In my sig you'll see I am a "white" macbook owner and completely satisfied at that. (In 2008 the MBP was out of reach for me).

I only pointed out the possible upgrade to a MBP because most people don't realize the disparity in cost which is quite manageable considering what you get. 2GB extra RAM, SD slot, Firewire, backlight keyboard... all for a few bucks more which is really a good value IMO.

But if the color "white" is that compelling then by all means go for it.

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I wasn't trying to come off jerky, I just think that how it writes out and sounds:D

And I understand, it is a good value for $100 more, but for someone like me, who never used or needed a firewire or sd reader, they'd be useless functions anyway!

Hey, sorry to come off like a crumb bum, thats wasn't my intent!

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

No problem. Enjoy your mac!

11. vpndev macrumors 6502

$200 discount on Alu 13" MBP

Check microcenter.com to see if there is a store near you.

If there is, you can buy the 13" MacBook Pro with $200 instant discount, making it $999 (same as white MacBook).

You MUST buy in person, at the store to get the discount.

This is latest model, new (not refurb or anything). I don't know how they manage to do this but it's real - I bought one.

12. Erob macrumors newbie

I couldn't agree more with this post. I actually could've kept saving and went with the MBP, but I actually liked the white Macbook better.

This is off subject, but I saw where you said that you upgraded your RAM and HD. Did this significantly make your computer any faster? Also, how much did it cost you to upgrade those things? I am wanting to do this to my Macbook as well.