Considering a Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nickswf, Aug 16, 2010.

1. nickswf macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I was considering a macbook pro and was wondering from your guy's experience - how long does it last before you notice it getting old? I've owned an imac and inherited an older powermac (which still does some heavy lifting), but I have no idea how good these notebooks are.

The imac lasted about a good 4 years before it started having issues.
    The powermac is about 5 years old, and is still kicking strong.

I'm graphic designer and now freelancing. Portability would be great for gigs that require that I have my own computer and for presentations etc. I do mostly web design and constantly have Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver all running at once. I do some motion with after effects as well.

Let me know how guys are liking yours. I saw some good deals on refurbs for a little over 2k. Is it worth the $$? If not, I'll just save the money and get another desktop.

2. alea macrumors newbie

Personally I think, since you're freelancing, purchase the current 2.4GHz i5 macbook pro. I use my old Santa Rosa mbp for Motion work so even though it is not ideal, it does the job just fine. If possible, obtain the AppleCare too. It is a potential lifesaver.

Keep the laptop for 2 years, sell and upgrade. If the laptop is in reasonably good condition, chances are, you can get 50-60% of what you paid for originally.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Macs last a long time if you look after them well. Many people are still using older PowerMacs (from 2000-2001) and they're still going strong, although I'd imagine not a lot of stuff can run on those PowerPC processors anymore (most stuff can only work on Intel chips).

4. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

take care of your machine and it will last. some people on here still use the G4's which is still very capable depending on your needs :)

5. nickswf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for your input. Just got a good deal on a 17 inch i7 refurb. Can't wait! Been 5 years since my last mac. Now if you can recommend a nice monitor that's not as expensive as a cinema display, I'm set.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I don't personally have one, but Dell make a few good ones - I've seen a few users on here on the 'setup' thread with them.