Considering a MBP from eBay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesdx, Mar 17, 2008.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I need a laptop and have long been planning to buy a MacBook, but after seeing some older MBP's on eBay, I'm thinking of getting one because of it's large display and extra features. I don't have enough $$$ to buy a brand new one, and would probably be looking at one from early 2007. Would a 1.8 or 2.0GHz Core Duo be powerful enough for me? My main use would be for basic stuff like web browsing and office, but also website design, iLife, and some music production apps.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah the older ones are good for most intent and purposes.

3. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

You may want to check the clearance/refurb section of the Apple online store.

Refurb: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...lRdUsgu22i1Ujt1Em8yfhM/2.0.0.26.9.5.7.1.1.1.1

Clearance:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...&mco=MTE3Njk&node=home/specialdeals/clearance

I got a new, last-gen MBP off the Clearance site. If you want to save a bit more, you can go the Refurb route. Plenty of people on this site (search through the forums and you'll find posts) have done both. I am quite happy with my purchase. Also, if you're a college student you can get the Clearance item at another $200 off ($1499 for a new, last-gen MBP). I took the savings and rolled it into a 4 GB RAM upgrade from OWC (http://www.macsales.com) anda 250 GB Western Digital Scorpio drive. :D

4. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

The Apple Refurbished Store has a lot of nice notebooks on there for a good price, plus you get the satisfaction of knowing that Apple themselves have inspected it for quality, etc. If you do decide to purchase from eBay, inspect the pictures thoroughly and do plenty of research, the last thing you want is a notebook that's had the hell beaten out of it and a seller who refuses to assist you with any post-sale inquiries.

5. hotdamn macrumors 6502

ok, I am a little biased since I love ebay, but if the seller's rating is over 90% positive, buy it.

if not, don't bother.
    also, new sellers are usually rude.

6. thesdx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there a huge difference between a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo? Most of the ones I'm seeing on eBay are Core Duos, and was wondering if that would be powerful enough.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I have a Core Duo 2.16 MBP and find powerful enough for all the stuff i do,which includes webdesign,iLife,and office based stuff the only thing i don't do which you stated is music production.The difference is one maxis out at 2GB of RAM the other 4GB