Considering a MBP - Opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Niko03, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Niko03 macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2008
    Hi all you MBP users.

I'm relatively new to Mac's. I've been through 3 27" i7 iMacs and each had the dreaded yellow screen issue. I finally got a 21.5" C2D 3.06 iMac and while the issue is much less it still has some issues with yellowing and I feel like I've compromised the high end processor - 2.8ghz quad core - and screen size and still have the same problem.

While I really liked the All-in One concept, the screen issues really bothered me, that leaves me with a Mac Mini or the MBP's as options. I guess I wouldn't mind the portability, So I'm thinking of taking it back and getting a 15" or 17" MBP probably with the 2.66 (i7 I believe). I do light photo work, perhaps going to Aperture, and some light family video work besides the general e-mail and surfing etc.

So questions.

Are the screens all good on the 15 and 17 MBP's?

I like the quietness of the iMac's how would the current crop of MBP's measure up?

Any heat related issue's with the current MBP's?

With my basic uses how would the stated MBP's serve me?

Anyone else use a MBP as basically a desktop?

Any concerns with killing the battery capacity with use patterns, ie. generally plugged in?

Thanks in advance for your input!
  2. MrFlynn macrumors member

Jul 13, 2010
    I would begin by searching Google for "Macbook Pro 2010 review" and read all the articles out there.

To answer some questions: My opinion is that the 15" is the sweet spot for Mac portables...especially for people using them for a desktop replacement. Both the i5 and i7s are capable of completely replacing a desktop machine. The systems are considered the best laptops in the industry, and usually receive "Editors Choice" accolades from any media source that reviews them. They have the best battery life, amazing displays and build quality that no other manufacturer in the industry can even come close to duplicating.

If budget is no concern, go i7. If it is a concern, go i5 2.40 ghz. I would skip the middle config all together as my feeling is it isn't worth 200.00 more then the i5 2.40.

You can't go wrong with a Macbook Pro, and many before you have made it their only computer.
  3. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2009
    I use my MBP as a desktop every day. I am an Information Security Consultant and couldn't be happier with my decision. I always have a VM or two open with Windows 7 or Windows Server and everything runs seamlessly. The fan only seems to kick in when I play CS:S at 1920x1200 on the external LCD or convert video.

I have it connected to an external disk (4TB) and a 24 inch LG LCD. For the past 3 or so years I always went with the 13 Macbook (Blackbook) and last year picked up a 13 MBP and never had any issues. This year, my oldest daughter needed a laptop for HS so I handed down the 13 and stepped up to the MBP 15, I7, 8GB, HiRes Anti Glare with a 240GB Sansforce SSD. I am really happy I went with the MBP! I was torn between this and the 27 iMac but saw many issues with the screens so I held off.

If I was younger and on a college budget I would go with the I5 for sure and then save up for an SSD, then max out the ram to 8GB.

As far as the battery, just use it! Enjoy it! If you eventually need a new battery in 3 years or so, just have it replaced.

Here is a good review:

Hope this helps!
  4. Niko03 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2008

Any one else have opinions - insight into my questions?