Considering a used SS Series 3.. What's missing from Series 4?

techno-Zen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I've been using a S4 for over a week but I'm too cheap for the stainless model and I'm worried that I'll scratch the hell out of the Ion-X Glass. Found a S3 SS at a great price.

Speed/processing, Modular faces, no ECG, standard year to year bumps aside.

Will the S3 still have:

-Podcasts
-Apple music
-Swim/Workouts??

techno-Zen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Awesome! I loved the display size on the s4 but I scooped an new unopened SS SB S3 w/ SB Milanese loop on swappa for $475 shipped! LTE too! Basically half price to that of th SS SB S4

Even has AppleCare+ till 2020

Reactions: dotzero123

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Awesome! I loved the display size on the s4 but I scooped an new unopened SS SB S3 w/ SB Milanese loop on swappa for $475 shipped! LTE too! Basically half price to that of th SS SB S4

Even has AppleCare+ till 2020
You mentioned you were worried about scratching your Apple Watch in your opening post, word of caution, do _not_ allow the space black Milanese loop to come in contact with the watch at all, as it will scratch it, because it has the same DLC coating that the space black Apple Watch has surrounding the casing as well, and many have scratches the watch very easily do to that specific band. (Lots of threads on this as well.)

Reactions: techno-Zen

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
You mentioned you were worried about scratching your Apple Watch in your opening post, word of caution, do _not_ allow the space black Milanese loop to come in contact with the watch at all, as it will scratch it, because it has the same DLC coating that the space black Apple Watch has surrounding the casing as well, and many have scratches the watch very easily do to that specific band. (Lots of threads on this as well.)
Totally agree, be VERY, VERY careful that the loop doesn't touch either the case of sapphire screen...

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Totally agree, be VERY, VERY careful that the loop doesn't touch either the case of sapphire screen...
That’s the one band I refuse to own. I’m not a fan of the Milanese loop as it is, but I have seen some very unfortunate cases with the Apple Watch that has scratched the displaying and casing well beyond what the user was aware of.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
That’s the one band I refuse to own. I’m not a fan of the Milanese loop as it is, but I have seen some very unfortunate cases with the Apple Watch that has scratched the displaying and casing well beyond what the user was aware of.
Same mate! It WILL touch the case at some point no matter how careful you are, those magnetised parts can't keep away from the sensors on the back.

techno-Zen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Same mate! It WILL touch the case at some point no matter how careful you are, those magnetised parts can't keep away from the sensors on the back.
I had it on an S4 that I was trying out. You just have to be careful putting it on and taking it off. No big deal.

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
I've been using a S4 for over a week but I'm too cheap for the stainless model and I'm worried that I'll scratch the hell out of the Ion-X Glass.
According to Apple, Series 4 does not use Ion-X glass. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204665
  • Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Stainless Steel) and Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Hermès): stainless steel case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
  • Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Aluminum), Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Nike+), and Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS): aluminum case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
But Series 2 and 3 Aluminum does
  • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) (Aluminum) and Apple Watch Series 2 (Aluminum): 7000 series aluminum case, Ion-X glass, and ceramic back

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
OMG the drama. Guys, it's >$1K watch you'll have for a few years max. Relax! Save your scratch fears for a Rolex.
Scratch fears? Or do you mean....scratch phobia. Rolex’s are over-rated. I will take my stainless Apple Watch any day. And no scratches to date.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
According to Apple, Series 4 does not use Ion-X glass. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204665
  • Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Stainless Steel) and Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Hermès): stainless steel case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
  • Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Aluminum), Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Nike+), and Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS): aluminum case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
But Series 2 and 3 Aluminum does
  • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) (Aluminum) and Apple Watch Series 2 (Aluminum): 7000 series aluminum case, Ion-X glass, and ceramic back
I believe they are referring to the back of the watch case. Sapphire crystal and ceramic on both stainless and aluminum.

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
I believe they are referring to the back of the watch case. Sapphire crystal and ceramic on both stainless and aluminum.
I don't think that is what they mean. It is placed where Ion-X is listed for older models.

What's in your Apple Watch
  • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) (Stainless Steel), Apple Watch Series 2 (Stainless Steel), and Apple Watch (1st generation) (Stainless Steel): 316L stainless steel case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
  • Apple Watch Series 3 Edition and Apple Watch Series 2 Edition: Ceramic case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
  • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS), Apple Watch Series 1 (Aluminum), and Apple Watch Sport (1st generation): 7000 series aluminum case, Ion-X glass, and composite back
  • Apple Watch Edition (1st generation): 18-karat gold case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back

mrwilly25

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2015
I don't think that is what they mean. It is placed where Ion-X is listed for older models.

What's in your Apple Watch
  • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) (Stainless Steel), Apple Watch Series 2 (Stainless Steel), and Apple Watch (1st generation) (Stainless Steel): 316L stainless steel case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
  • Apple Watch Series 3 Edition and Apple Watch Series 2 Edition: Ceramic case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
  • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS), Apple Watch Series 1 (Aluminum), and Apple Watch Sport (1st generation): 7000 series aluminum case, Ion-X glass, and composite back
  • Apple Watch Edition (1st generation): 18-karat gold case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
On Aluminum, only the back is sapphire crystal and ceramic, the front is still Ion-X.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch/44mm-cellular-space-gray-aluminum-black-sport-band

Reactions: techno-Zen

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
On Aluminum, only the back is sapphire crystal and ceramic, the front is still Ion-X.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch/44mm-cellular-space-gray-aluminum-black-sport-band
Ok, but Ion-X still ought to have been listed in my link, as material in the watch.

Clearly a typo, as (*reads verbatim off the back of my watch*) alu series4 watch does mention ion-x glass just like all previous alu watches have.

The only sapphire on the alu series4 is the sensor dome on the back of the watch.
Ok, Guess that settles it. Thanks, but shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.