Considering a used SS Series 3.. What's missing from Series 4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by techno-Zen, Oct 7, 2018.

1. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

I've been using a S4 for over a week but I'm too cheap for the stainless model and I'm worried that I'll scratch the hell out of the Ion-X Glass. Found a S3 SS at a great price.

Speed/processing, Modular faces, no ECG, standard year to year bumps aside.

Will the S3 still have:

-Podcasts
    -Apple music
    -Swim/Workouts??

2. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

3. techno-Zen thread starter macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

Awesome! I loved the display size on the s4 but I scooped an new unopened SS SB S3 w/ SB Milanese loop on swappa for $475 shipped! LTE too! Basically half price to that of th SS SB S4

Even has AppleCare+ till 2020

4. vintagekeys macrumors regular

vintagekeys

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You mentioned you were worried about scratching your Apple Watch in your opening post, word of caution, do _not_ allow the space black Milanese loop to come in contact with the watch at all, as it will scratch it, because it has the same DLC coating that the space black Apple Watch has surrounding the casing as well, and many have scratches the watch very easily do to that specific band. (Lots of threads on this as well.)

6. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Totally agree, be VERY, VERY careful that the loop doesn't touch either the case of sapphire screen...

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s the one band I refuse to own. I’m not a fan of the Milanese loop as it is, but I have seen some very unfortunate cases with the Apple Watch that has scratched the displaying and casing well beyond what the user was aware of.

8. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Same mate! It WILL touch the case at some point no matter how careful you are, those magnetised parts can't keep away from the sensors on the back.

9. techno-Zen thread starter macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

I had it on an S4 that I was trying out. You just have to be careful putting it on and taking it off. No big deal.

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

OMG the drama. Guys, it's >$1K watch you'll have for a few years max. Relax! Save your scratch fears for a Rolex.

11. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

$1k is a lot of money to some people!

12. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

According to Apple, Series 4 does not use Ion-X glass. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204665
    • Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Stainless Steel) and Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Hermès): stainless steel case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
    • Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Aluminum), Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Nike+), and Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS): aluminum case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
    But Series 2 and 3 Aluminum does
    • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) (Aluminum) and Apple Watch Series 2 (Aluminum): 7000 series aluminum case, Ion-X glass, and ceramic back

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Scratch fears? Or do you mean....scratch phobia. Rolex’s are over-rated. I will take my stainless Apple Watch any day. And no scratches to date.

14. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

I believe they are referring to the back of the watch case. Sapphire crystal and ceramic on both stainless and aluminum.

15. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

I don't think that is what they mean. It is placed where Ion-X is listed for older models.

What's in your Apple Watch
    • Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Stainless Steel) and Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Hermès): stainless steel case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
    • Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Aluminum), Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) (Nike+), and Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS): aluminum case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
    • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) (Stainless Steel), Apple Watch Series 2 (Stainless Steel), and Apple Watch (1st generation) (Stainless Steel): 316L stainless steel case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
    • Apple Watch Series 3 Edition and Apple Watch Series 2 Edition: Ceramic case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back
    • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) (Aluminum) and Apple Watch Series 2 (Aluminum): 7000 series aluminum case, Ion-X glass, and ceramic back
    • Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS), Apple Watch Series 1 (Aluminum), and Apple Watch Sport (1st generation): 7000 series aluminum case, Ion-X glass, and composite back
    • Apple Watch Edition (1st generation): 18-karat gold case, sapphire crystal, and ceramic back

16. mrwilly25 macrumors member

On Aluminum, only the back is sapphire crystal and ceramic, the front is still Ion-X.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch/44mm-cellular-space-gray-aluminum-black-sport-band

17. dotzero123 macrumors regular

dotzero123

I loved the S3 watch. Sounds like you're getting a nice deal!

18. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Clearly a typo, as (*reads verbatim off the back of my watch*) alu series4 watch does mention ion-x glass just like all previous alu watches have.

The only sapphire on the alu series4 is the sensor dome on the back of the watch.

19. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

Ok, but Ion-X still ought to have been listed in my link, as material in the watch.

Ok, Guess that settles it. Thanks, but shame.