Considering Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rapscallion, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Rapscallion macrumors regular

I’ve been considering purchasing an airport extreme, I've looked at new, refurbished and used, and I'm having trouble deciding what way to proceed. new is expensive, refurbished still has a one year warranty and the used one I've found was purchased in June 2010 so has the balance of its warranty. Can this warranty be transferred to me buy the seller? The used extreme is going for $160 so the refurbished at $169CAD is starting to look good. I may be able to hagle with the seller of the used model and get the price down a tiny bit more, but don't know how firm the seller will be. Is the extreme even worth the cost or should I just find a different wireless router to go with?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would never hesitate buying a refurb AEBS from the Apple Store. They offer the same warranty as new.

If you buy an Apple product from someone that is still under warranty, that warranty is fully transferable.

I prefer the AEBS over anything because it just works for me. It is pricey and I have had no issues using Linksys routers, but now it's just me an my AEBS. It's also that I somehow got caught up in thinking the AEBS would be the only router that allowed me to use a "network" printer. When I needed it everything else led me to needing a print server and a router, which ran about what the AEBS ran new.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I bought a refurbished AEBS a year and a half ago and it has been working without any hiccups. No reason to go with new.

4. Rapscallion thread starter macrumors regular

@ Jessica
    I'm glad you cleared up the fact that I can transfer the warranty thanks for your input on that.

@ Jessica and Talmy
    Refurb is looking like fewer headaches then the used and a better option then new, I have no problem buying refurb as my new mini was refurb and its working great for me.
    Thanks

I will still try to talk this guy down in price maybe it will be worthwhile if it’s another $20 cheaper.
    I wonder if maybe I should wait until after the next apple media event and see if anything new in the airport line comes out of that before making any choice at all.

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I bought a refurb a month ago and couldn't be happier with it :) Well, if it came with a few more ports I'd be happier, but whatevs.

I was in your same shoes, saw one on the MR marketplace for about $10 cheaper than a refurb. I decided to go with the refurb, especially since you never really know from what environment/history it's coming from, as well as it's practically brand spanking new

6. Rendergroup macrumors member

Rendergroup

How easy is to forward ports in this device for torrents and other appz.?

I'm also considering purchasing a refurb.