Considering an 11" or 13" MBA, trying to decide between 2 offers

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Aaron from KY, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Aaron from KY macrumors member

2 options both on eBay:
    13" Brand new in box, no warranty however, 8gb of RAM 256gb SSD-$749.99

11.6" certified refurbished with 1 year Apple warranty, 4gb of RAM 256gb SSD-$741.99

Your opinion if any?
    I'm trying decide between these 2

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Why would a brand new in the box have no warranty?

3. Aaron from KY thread starter macrumors member

It's business surplus, a business bought a bunch of CTO MBAs a few years ago, they sat in a closet for years still shrink wrapped, and then they sold them to the company which is selling them on eBay. The seller has a 99.9% positive rating on like 12k transactions, so it's not sketchy, it's s asset liquidation. They had 10+ for sale when I started watching it and they're down to 4 left.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I don't think Apple's going to warranty a refurbished product unless they're the one selling it.
    Is Apple selling on eBay again?
    That would be new.

Unless size is really an issue I'd go with the 13".
    More RAM will increase resale value and it's got the SD-card slot.

5. Aaron from KY thread starter macrumors member

http://m.ebay.com/itm/351989207740 I'm just going by the ad

http://m.ebay.com/itm/142415908413

6. madrich, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017

madrich macrumors regular

madrich

I would go with the 13". I bought my MBA 13" early 2015 8gb ram, and 256 SSD recently from someone on eBay for $750. It had only 8 battery cycles on it, plus Apple warranty until early July 2017. My Discover credit card will extend the warranty for one more year. However, I do not think that any credit card warranty will help you because there is no warranty to extend (as you explained previously.) Nevertheless, I have not had any problem with it. You would just need to self-insure your MBA.

Edit: Search eBay for something more recent, 2013 is old.

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68030

Boyd01

You have to decide whether you want an 11" or 13" model, it's that simple and only you can answer this. I had a 2011 13" MBA and upgraded to an 11" MBA in 2013. Best move I ever made, I like the 11" model much more. Something is just so cool about having all this power (I have the i7/8gb/512gb model) in such a small package with a decent variety of ports to connect things.

But you might hate the 11" model. There are endless threads on "which is better" here, just do a little searching. All comes down to personal preference. Now the 8gb RAM on the 13" model is better, but what's the point if you don't like the bigger computer?

8. Scepticalscribe, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely with this post.

I have had both the 13" and 11" MBA; both were CTO with the specifications of the model described by @Boyd01 - namely, i7/8GB/512 GB SSD - and they each have been the best computer I have ever had.

In common with @Boyd01, I now use the 11" as my sole computer - I travel a lot and the size of the 11" is wonderfully perfect for a portable lifestyle.

Now, to the OP: You must weight up the advantages of each computer and ask yourself what it is you need most from a computer. You must ask yourself what features you need, as opposed to those you merely want.

The 13" has a larger screen, and is a more powerful computer (that 8GB RAM); on the other hand, it has no warranty.

The 11" is a less powerful computer but - you say - does have a one year Apple warranty. If it has a one year Apple warranty, it should also be possible to buy Apple Care - which would extend the warranty for a further two years - giving a total of three years - for it.

Personally, while I like a powerful computer, I like a portable computer even more. Above all, I am fan of warranties, as that gives me peace of mind if something goes wrong.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

For day to day computing the RAM difference wont even be noticeable.
    All it does is add resale value for people thinking they need the biggest/best.
    ;)

10. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

I beg to disagree the 8 gb ram is superior!

11. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

It really depends on your needs. If you run VM's and/or do extensive photo or video editing, more RAM. If just browsing, email, iTunes, etc., not necessary. The 11" has a smaller, but sharper screen. (More PPI) It is the best travel machine I have ever owned. Lighter, smaller footprint fits on airline seat back trays, etc. 13" obviously more screen real estate, battery life, RAM, etc. It really depends on your needs and lifestyle.

12. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

13. Boyd01, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

Boyd01 macrumors 68030

Boyd01

How is that relevant? The OP is trying to make a choice between two laptops on eBay. ;)

I had a 2011 MBA with 4gb RAM (the only options back then were 2gb or 4gb). It worked surprisingly well with demanding appications, I did quite a bit of video editing in legacy Final Cut Pro, used Logic Pro 9, Photoshop, VectorWorks, FileMaker Pro with no problems. The SSD is fast enough that most of the time you won't even be aware that swapping is taking place.

Newer versions of the air have faster processors, faster SSD's and MacOS is supposed to use memory more efficiently. So I would tend to agree with @Gjwilly - 4gb will be fine for "everyday" usage. Personally I wouldn't buy a computer with only 4gb (and definitely wouldn't buy one with a 128gb ssd), but my needs go beyond "everyday use". :)

14. Aaron from KY thread starter macrumors member

I went with the 13", mostly because I plan on keeping it for awhile and figured the 8gb of RAM would at least buy more time of usefulness. Plus, knock on wood, I've only ever had one issue with a laptop, and that was 2010 MBP a/c adapter that was dead out of the box. Out of the 10 or so laptops I've had over the years, that's not bad odds, so the warranty likely won't matter, and if it's truly sealed and new, the battery likely is still good, and this model was rated at 12hrs per charge, which will come in handy if I travel. The SD card slot is worth it too for the relatively inexpensive storage.

15. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

I just wanted the member to be aware of the market place.

16. Johnny365 macrumors regular

Johnny365

Good choice. I stuck a Tardisk 128GB in my SD slot, so now I have double the storage, as I don't have a use for the SD slot (can always use USB memory card adapters).

8GB of ram is more attractive in the long run as more applications require more memory, MacOS included.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You can still sometimes obtain 11" MBAs in the refurbished section of Apple's website.