Considering an Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ricardod, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Ricardod macrumors newbie

Non tech - business / home user of PC's since 1984. Was always intrigued by Apple but working in a corporate environment using (then) Lotus 1-2-3, Excel, Word, Powerpoint .. never considered an Apple for home. Now that my latest home PC is once again outdated - I see that the 21.5 inch Imac is a pretty slick machine and I can load Microsoft Office for Mac (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and can handle any work projects at home.

Considering the base Imac 21.5, 2.7Ghz, with 16 GM memory and Fusion drive, in addition to the external disk drive - as I do get a lot of hard media presentations to review.

Having never used email outside of Microsoft Outlook .. is there any need to add that as well? Or will the Imac mail capability do all I need to do in that regard? I use Outlook at work and archive a lot of email "stuff" categorized.

I have always heard of the Mac capabilities in the graphic design field. Is that due to any proprieary OS architecture? Mac system sofware? Of better "design software" more suited to the Mac than PC OS? Really have a lot to learn about the MAC environment!! But I hope to get started this weekend. Thanks in advance for any guidance. Rick from Miami.

2. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

MACS used to be mainly for people doing design...that is no longer true, many people prefer MACS over PCs for whatever they need it for. Enjoy your new iMac...

3. passey macrumors member

you get outlook in office for mac anyway I don't use it mac's built in email is good enough for me

4. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

This might help when it comes time to transfer files from your PC to the iMac.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1408

If needed you can also run Win7 or Win8 on the iMac.

5. jtrainor56 macrumors regular

jtrainor56

You will get Outlook in MS Office if you purchase the full suite, that said I have been in IT since the mid 80's and just bought a new iMac and use Mac mail. I have no need to use Outlook for my personal email as I still have a work laptop for work related crap. There was a bit of a learning curve but I after using it since Christmas, I don't miss Outlook.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

You will like having a Mac. There is a lot of stuff you don't need to worry about with the Mac OS and the machines are pretty reliable.

As was mentioned already, there is a learning curve but once you understand how things work, you won't have any problems.

Good idea getting the fusion drive. Makes the iMac lightning fast.

Enjoy!

7. Ricardod thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments. Will just buy the microsoft office for home w/o Outlook. Adding Outlook the price goes from $129 to $219 and does not appear necessary so adios Outlook! Thanks guys!!(gals?)

8. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

you can also consider the 27". that big screen is just lovely :D

9. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

That should be Rick from Miami Vice the 80s TV show cause your thoughts on mac are old school!:D

As others have said you will enjoy switching over and even though there will be times you get frustrated, it'll be worth it in the end. It's just a smoother, simpler way to use a computer. Every time I have to use a windows machine at work, I curse like a 12 year old on COD.

The best bit of info I can give you is to learn the OS. Watch videos on how to do all the little things and look out for the plethora of tips people give out in abundance on MacRumors and... back up, back up, back up.