Considering an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KSR, Jan 30, 2011.

1. KSR macrumors newbie

I have been looking for a tablet that I want to buy and it's really a hard decision, much harder than deciding on which phone to buy. The choice of a tablet is the hardest decision I have come across yet in my life as it comes to electronics and I am still undecided... D:

I have an iPod Touch 3G right now and I'll be getting an iPod Touch 4G in about two or three weeks, then after that, I'll be saving for a tablet. The iPad is interesting me. I have had Android smartphones for well over two years now (currently with the DROID X) and the iPod Touch's operating system has blown me away at how smooth and how simple it all comes together so I'd love to play with it on a bigger screen. In my opinion as of right now with technology, iSO is more suited for running on a tablet. Android seems a little buggier. :D

I will definitely be waiting for the iPad 2 as the one I get (if a 3 isn't out by time I save up enough money... xD LOL) but I'm skeptical about buying it. I've been playing with iPads whenever and wherever I can get my hands on one (at both the Apple store and Verizon) and IMO, it seems like an oversized iPod Touch or iPhone... :/ I know it serves it's own functions such as better internet experiences, games, and such but I guess I am waiting for more iPad-specific apps and functions to take full advantage of it's screen size... >.>

Can you give me some feedback? Were you too skeptical that it might have been too identical to you iPod Touch or iPhone before you bought it, to find it not true after purchase? Is it worth the pricetag? I'd like to get some opinions on the iPad and what each of you use yours for. :)

I'm sorry for blabbering a little... xD

2. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

The ipad is by far the best tablet that is out there. It is much more than just an oversized iphone. I use it as my primary web surfing station i'm even writing this on on my ipad. It works superbly for reading webpages and watching youtube videos. What comes to the infamous lack of flash i havn't discovered even one pages that i couldn't view because of the lack of flash.
    I'd say get one.

3. KSR thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be buying an iPod Touch 4G first in a few weeks but then I am leaning towards getting an iPad 2 (which should be out by then; if not, I'll wait until that one comes out). I'll still be looking around but that's my mail one on my list right now. Other tablets are crossed out after less than 20 minutes of research... xD

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

The only way to truly know is to jump in and give it a go. I believe apple retail stores have suspended restock fees, or you could do as I did and buy a used iPads off Craigslist for a good price. Idea being if you buy it right and don't like it you likely can sell it for what you paid for it.

5. ssgokou29 macrumors newbie

I have an ipod touch 3g, and an android smartphone (Tmobile g2). I pondered your situation before buying the ipad. I web design on the side so telling myself i use it for work purposes :rolleyes:. But it is pretty much a larger iphone or itouch. I was also considering the galaxy tab, but didn't want to pay for "another" data plan, so to me, pricing wise, the full price cost for a tab, i could get a small ipad (16gb) or for the same price get a larger screen tablet (ipad). I went with the 32gb wifi model. There are pros and cons here and there between android tabs and ipad. But in my opinion i think the UI on apple products is great.

With the rumors of the ipad 2 and what the upgrades are, it wasn't a real deal breaker for me. If anything, i wouldnt upgrade my ipad till the possible 3rd gen if need be. None-the-less happy with my purchase. I use my ipad mostly at work, due to sites being blocked (chats/email). I get wifi by tethering my phone. So no extra cost to data plan since i already had one.

Hope this helps.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

In the same situation as the OP, and once I took the leap I enjoyed the mobility and the size of the screen in relation to documents that I can view in their entirety without pinching or unpinching and scrolling side to side and up and down. IWorks is godsend and converts all my documents with very little distortion or diversion from the original documents. It's a great tool on-the-go for me and my wife; and we've only had it since Saturday after Macworld in San Francisco. Looking forward to iPad 2 in April for my wife, but really happy I bought the original iPad when I did...:cool:

7. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

All it is is a giant iPod touch... and it's perfect! Think about it; all the functionality of an iTouch on a screen you can actually read!

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

would you rather have a 5 inch tv or a 50 inch? ya they are the same but one is bigger but which?

9. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Why are you getting iPod touch 4G when you already have 3G? I'd save that money and get iPad 2 when it comes out.