Considering an IPOD touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jake8, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jake8 macrumors newbie

Hi guys I am considering an ipod touch. I have music on my computer I've transfered from CDs and I was wondering if ipod touch comes with a usb so i can transfer that music or do they MAKE YOU buy music from itunes? this is what i need to know, if you have to buy from itunes then i think im going with the ipod shuffle.

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

iPods utilize iTunes to transfer music. You can take whatever you want on your CDs and put them right on a Touch. You don't have to buy anything from Apple. I have never purchased one song from Apple and I have a library of about 3800 songs.

I also have a lot of video as well from DVDs or TV. For TV my DVR happens to output in iPod format so I can dump whatever I want to the touch for later viewing.

3. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

It looks like you've invented a new iPod!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

4. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so i can just put the music into itunes and then put the music to my ipod touch then? sorry im new to all this, never owned an ipod before but really been wanting 1 and finally saved the $$.

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Yes, that's all there is to it. I feel your pain not knowing. I was an iPod snob for the longest time. After suffering with a non-iPod for years I finally bought one earlier this year and was hooked. I then got the Touch as soon as I knew there was a good, solid jailbreak. I'm one of them now.

I have to be in a city with an Apple store in about a month. I plan on stopping in and taking a look around.

Yes, you can take whatever music you like and put it on your Touch. It will transfer MP3s directly but, if you have any WMA files, iTunes will transcode it for the iPod.

Which size are you going to get?

6. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Why so big of a jump? lol You're going from a fairly large, expensive, more-options machine (the touch) and if that doesn't do what you want, you're automatically skipping down to the lowest end iPod? =o Sounds weird to me.

7. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Sounds like he knows a good piece of gadgetry when he sees it. I only had a nano for three months before buying the touch. I certainly don't regret it and the nano is up on ebay right now.

8. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want an ipod touch becus I've seen my brothers nano, and a friend in my us history class has a touch and i like the touch way more with all the features and such. the reason i thought it was that ur only allowed to buy the songs from itunes safari or whatever is cause thats all they ever talk about in the reviews.

i plan on getting a 8g. thats already expensive enough lol, seeing as i dont have a job. theres no way i want to dish out another 100.

i only have 150 songs at the moment im guessing over the *years* ill collect another 150 so i dont really see the need for the 400$$$ 16g. i think with at MAX 500ish songs, and a few videos ill be set.

anything i should know? like hows the net connection? is it hard to get a wireless connection? (i have 1 in my house im just curious about other places like in a car or at school or something.) what about defects? any of those or is the ipod not having any defects or anything?(for example like with xbox's where no ones works)

thanks for the help

edit: whats with all this jailbreak to get more features i here about? what if i wanted to try it when and if i decide to go ahead and buy a touch, is it easily put in so i can get extra features n stuff or is it a hassle?

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Apple makes tons of money off of the iTunes store. It's a very easy way to buy and transfer songs. You've got CD's so don't worry about all that.

Get what you can afford. You'll be happy.

You'll do just fine with an 8GB.

There are issues with some week 37/38 touch models. The manufacture week is the fourth and fifth character of the serial number. There have been a lot of defective screens and some other oddities show up.

My wireless connection works great. Some people seem to have issues. I don't know if that is specifically related to the 37/38 thing or not. I haven't seen a specific correlation to it.

A jailbreak is a method to unlock the touch and the iPhone so that applications (programs) can be put on it. You can add all kinds of things like the things that are missing on the touch that are on the iPhone. There are games and you can also put the Nintendo (NES) emulator and games on it as well. The jailbreak only happened a short time ago and new things are being released all the time. You can also make or download themes to give it a different look.

A new jailbreak just came out that is completely effortless. Your touch will then have an "installer" button on it that will allow you to add things with no effort at all.

10. aft macrumors regular

OFF Topic: just curious what kind of DVR you have that can output a format playable on you iPod?

11. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I'm using SageTV. I can output in three iPod quality levels.