Considering aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TopHatPlus, Nov 2, 2010.

1. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Hey so i LOVE iphoto i have been using it for about 4 years now and i have a photo library of 19 000 strong and i love the way iphoto works and how easy it is to use. I have seen some pretty rave reviews on here by several people, and i was just wondering if its a good upgrade for me. I just bought a new camera body yesterday i moved from a nikon D60 -> D90 as several photographers i know locally recommended it for my skill, i would love to get a more diverse photo editing as i will also be doing a lot of photography for our family business. A lot of people say its a very large program to run, i have a 2010 15" MBP with a 2.66 ghz i7, 4 GB of RAM (may be upping that to 8 GB soon i run out daily) nvidia gt 330m 512 MB GPU and a 500 GB HDD. I am assuming that my computer wont have any issues running it? it runs final cut pro with no issues? What are your favourite features of aperture? and out of 10 how would you rate this product as an overall for use and value?

2. TopHatPlus thread starter macrumors 6502

Also i was looking to see if aperture 3 supports RAW format, it says it does so i checked the list and the D90 is there but it has a asterisk -

(Note that models marked with an asterisk require Aperture 2 or later with Mac OS X v10.4.11 Tiger or Mac OS X v10.5.2 Leopard or later; models marked with two asterisks require Aperture 3 or later.)

the D90 had one, does this mean it will work? or do i need aperture 2? i do not fully understand?

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have a D90 and aperture 3. (i don't shoot raw :rolleyes:) Aperture is great if you know how to use it. iphoto anyone can use it but aperture needs sometime to play around with. If you live near an apple store, bring some photos on a USB stick/CD and play around with Aperture.
    What are your system specs. Aperture 3 runs like dog poo on my imac (see sig. for specs, but fine on my mbp)

Out of curiosity why did you choose the D90 over the new D7000? I want to upgrade from my D90 :eek:

4. OreoCookie, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

OreoCookie macrumors 68030

What the webpage means is that the D90, along with all other cameras that are marked with a single star, are supported by Aperture 2 and later. So of course, it will work with Aperture 2. As you note, this is written explicitly at the bottom of the RAW support page.

I would download the 30-day trial and give it a spin. Personally, I love it, but as a pro app it has a learning curve.

5. TopHatPlus thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey well i picked the D90 for performance and price, the D7000 is a sweet body and so is the D300 but they are both double the price. I am not a pro photographer just a very avid photographer. I was also talking to a college Photography teacher and after he viewed my photos and was i do with it he highly recommended it as a upgrade. I have been playing around with my D90 for about 2 days now and its AMAZING.

system

2010 15" MBP (high res 1680 x 1050)
    2.66 ghz i7
    4 GB 1066 MHZ ram
    500 GB 7200 rpm HDD

i hope it will run it effortlessly i am going to double the ram at some point it gets gobbled up pretty fast.

I guess i will have to Download the trial and see how it runs =D anyone else have any tips or advice?

6. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

TopHatPlus;
    Did you do a search on Aperture threads here?
    This is the Q of every few weeks....

fwiw, I also used iPhoto for 3-4 years and switched to Aperture 6 months ago.
    Now, I could never go back to iPhoto......I've typed the whys in other threads....
    simply:
    -better file management ability
    -non destructive editing
    -easy/intitutive editing

7. arnop macrumors regular

arnop

I would definitely suggest you to get Aperture. You may need a few days to get used to it but once you'll be ok with it, you'll never go back to iPhoto !

8. TopHatPlus thread starter macrumors 6502

hey i did and i have been spending ALOT of time reading, but these simpler posts help me a lot more.

thanks =D

9. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

I use Aperture 3 and the D90 together just fine. It's a resource hog, but I run it successfully on both a Mac Pro 8 core and 13" base 2009 MBP with 4GB of RAM.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

Try it out for 30 days ;)

10. TopHatPlus thread starter macrumors 6502

THANK YOU

haha i have been trying for a few minutes,and your link took me to the canadian version of the link? haha not sure but it worked and it is downloading HAHA god damn i hate how us Canadians get everything unique >_< hehe