Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
If you have it, your computer won't properly "sleep". When I put my computer to sleep, the monitor turns off but the case fan doesn't. The light above the power switch does not "slowly blink" indicating the computer is sleeping. I tried everything (including post questions on this forum), in the end I brought it in to an Apple store. They did every test and end up calling the engineers at HQ and was told that the RAID card is not "energy star" compliant and since it was meant for servers - it won't let the computer go to sleep. I brought the machine in the morning and got it back in the afternoon. They also tested my 3rd party RAM and HDs - so there you go, they won't refuse to touch your machine if you have 3rd party parts inside. Here's a quick summary of drawbacks:

1. Prevents MP from sleeping properly
2. You can not do BOOT CAMP! (no drivers as of yet)
3. No eSATA ports
4. Will block eSATA cables from going behind HD brackets (if you're thinking of utilizing the ODD to hook up external SATA devices)
5. Pricy!

If anyone has an APPLE RAID card installed and can properly sleep their MP, please let me know!!!

KK

Virtuoso

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Seattle
6. Reconditions the battery every so often, fully discharging it and then recharging it which can take up to 15 hours, during which time the performance of the RAID is compromised.

I sent mine back.

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
6. Reconditions the battery every so often, fully discharging it and then recharging it which can take up to 15 hours, during which time the performance of the RAID is compromised.

I sent mine back.

Thanks for #6 totally forgot about that one!
Unfortunately, I can't send mine back as it was part of BTO :mad:

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Sounds very similar to the third-party SATA card I have in my old Power Mac G4. Won't allow the machine to sleep -- or more accurately, won't allow the machine to wake up from sleep. But that's ok with me, as I pretty much run it 24/7 as a server.

mgsarch

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
I suppose you can sell it here.

I have the RAID card myself,, and I have the sleeping problem as well.

But otherwise from that, I love it.

So many of us have the sleeping problem without the RAID card too. (me included ...)

Other than being a broken feature, I really don't care that much. I've turned off sleep on every computer anyway. It's never caused me problems.

Does it really have tangible benefits?

The biggest issue for me is the ODD eSATA issue. So lame that Apple makes those interfaces so disagreeable when the ports should really be built in to the case.

.... back to my drawing board

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.