Considering Apple TV But need help

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rosler28, Mar 9, 2008.

1. rosler28 macrumors newbie

OK I'm in the UK and am unsure whether to get Apple TV or not. I love the concept but am not sure it will do enough for me.

My understanding is:

To put DVDs I already have onto ATV then I would have to use various third party softwares to do it.

UK ITunes does not have a date for movie rentals as yet.

My Girlfriend has a few HD DVDs but if I use my MBA and third party software then can I view HD quality movies through my Apple TV and suitable TV?

Apologies for the ignorance but I want to ensure I fully understand the product before I spend my cash.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

1. Yes, MacTheRipper and Handbrake
    2. Yes, but it should come this year, as Jobs has said they will go international by the end of the year.
    3. Unlikely, HD DVD is dead unfortunately

The AppleTV is a really cool device though, I was using one at a party last week, and that was very successful.

3. rosler28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that and much appreciated.

OK will it do Blu Ray?

Also, I have seen US ITunes accounts on ebay and do they work in the UK?

4. pjac macrumors regular

Probably, see this thread or search the forum.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well when Macs get Blu Ray drives you should be able to rip them, but not yet I don't think.

6. Polska macrumors member

Why the internal HD?

I would like to take the chance and add some more questions. I'm a happy owner for a d-link DSM-320RD for 2 years or so. It plays many formats (Divx, Xvid but not MOV) and works connecting through Wifi with my Windows Vista's Computer.

I will be moving to Berlin soon and I'm planning on being 100% Apple (I've been using a Macbook for years) and I was considering the AppleTV, now after the Take 2.

My question is, what's the reason for the internal HDD? Doesn't it play directly from the Apple? It's to store movies and music downloaded directly from the iTunes Store? Can I access that hard disk from my computer?

Another question (and sorry if I'm being too newbie here) but what would be the reason to hack the AppleTV? To play different formats?

thanks for any help.

Erick Pessôa
    Brazil

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

The internal HDD is so that you can copy content from your itunes library to the Apple TV and also store rented movies. The advantage of copying content is that you do not have to keep your computer turned on when watching it on the Apple TV. Alternatively you can keep the computer on and stream your Itunes content directly to the Apple TV.

I have an Apple TV Take 2 but I have installed PERIAN and ATVFiles so that I can play different types of files e.g. AVI, XVID, DIVX. It works really well, although you have to copy content in these formats to the Apple TV manually.