Considering buying 15" rMBP..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ender land, Aug 16, 2015.

1. ender land macrumors 6502a

I currently have a fully functional 2010 13" MBP, with a 256GB SSD. It's in pretty good condition, minor chipping on the front edge but otherwise no known problems (374 cycles on this battery).

I will be taking a few classes in the fall, some of which may benefit from more screen real estate (my 13" has 1280x800 obviously). I have been using the 13" for long enough now that I am somewhat used to a low resolution screen, at this point, though every time I look at code on it I cry a little bit.

I would also like to be able to run a virtual machine for Windows and do minor gaming - older games and potentially World of Warships, nothing super intense. Some of the applications I will use for school are workable but stress my older C2D computer.

I will also definitely use the higher resolution modes as "native" - does this have performance issues? The text when changing too one suggests performance will suffer... but I've only used them in stores so I don't know.

Because I am a student until the end of this year, I am considering making this purchase in the next month. My school bookstore offers no sales tax on macs purchased there (with educational pricing, too) and the Beats headphones. This combination seems desirable, as it's worth $120 for sales tax and $200 (or whatever resale might be) for the Beats and then the education discount, too (either $100 or $200 for upgraded one).

My current computer, guesstimating from Craigslist is about $400-500 or so. Perspective here would be great too even though I didn't flag as Price Advice :)

All this to say, it seems reasonable for me to buy the upgraded rMBP now:
    • $2299 - $400 - $150 = about $1750 out of pocket
    vs
    • $2499 + $120 - $400 = $2220 later
    It seems buying now is a huge savings for me (even more if my current computer actually dies prior to when I'd upgrade).

Thoughts? Maybe I'm overthinking this..

2. pjfan macrumors regular

Your logic seems sound. The 15" retina with dedicated GPU and quad core will be huge for games and VMs.

If you can afford it, do it, and your productivity may increase. Portability isn't that different from your 13" version either... All signs point to buy according to my magic eight ball. I'm not helpful regarding resell price, sorry.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I would agree with your logic. Beats are flooded on the eBay market right now. But still worth a significant amount of $$.