considering buying a 27" imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jfreak623, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

I am considering upgrading from my 13" late 08 unibody macbook to a 27" 2012 iMac and take advantage of Best Buys current sale combined with student discount. As a premier silver member, i get a 45 days return policy so even if they went on sale more, i could return or get price adjustment.

My only hesitation is if I will enjoy going from have the portability to not. My first mac was a imac and then I bought my current macbook. Though now we have iphones and iPads vs when i first had my imac so portability prolly wont be as big of a factor.

Anybody else struggle with that?

2. cole01 macrumors 6502

Do you have to sell the MacBook? I kept my old one and use it when needed but my main computer is now the 27" iMac. I also have iPads for portable couch/bed surfing purposes. :p

The screen on the iMac will feel like such an upgrade compared to your old computer. It's a beautiful display and once you have all of that screen real estate, going back is hard.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd keep the portability option if you can. I have the top spec 27" and an rMBP 13" The MBP allows me to edit and browse at night in bed when I can't sleep. It's also powerful enough to be a work tool so I'm not tied to my desk.

4. suziedog macrumors newbie

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have a (2011) iMac 27", a (2011) MacBook Air and a 4th generation iPad.

Since I bought the iPad, I never touch the MacBook Air.

6. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

yea, im selling it to my friend who is still stuck on PC. Using that cash to help pay for the larger upgrade. My normal plan was to just get the same macbook but new gen, but i figure since i dont upgrade often, i need to make it worth it. Everytime i go to best buy and see the 27", im just in love! lol

7. loucomu macrumors newbie

I have a (2011) iMac 27", a (2011) MacBook Air and a 4th generation iPad[​IMG]

8. Saltymac macrumors member

They are a big unit and require a large space to maximize viewing pleasure. The 21 imac's are also a good value. I sold a 2008 27' and replaced with Pro and monitor. Good advice on keeping the MBP - perhaps you should go with usual approach of replacing your MBP and get an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. Best of both worlds.

9. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

I bought a 27" iMac and iPad at the same time. I'm not a student so typing on the go isn't a necessity, but I did like surfing the net, watching to videos and playing games. if I was a student I'd definitely go MBP #2cents

10. DavidG328 macrumors regular

I've been using the 13" cMBP for quite some time now, and am now using a late 2012 model. I was all set to buy a rMBP, possibly the 15". Today I went to the Apple store to really play with them and make a decision.

My girlfriend called me over to the iMacs. There is zero doubt or questions about it, I'm going with a 27" iMac.

11. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

good choice....but first read all the comments about LG panel of the 27 inch iMac .....many replacements due to light bleeding, IR and yellowish spots....

12. DavidG328 macrumors regular

Yeah, I've somewhat followed the LG/Samsung ordeal. A series of tests will be the first thing I do.

13. Sputnek macrumors regular

Before you purchase

The warning:
    I just bought a 27'' i7 1tb fusion drive 2gb graphics last week at the apple store, and had to replace the mac twice due to the screen ghosting. The unit I have now (unit #3) ghosted once, but I haven't seen it do it again in a full 24 hours (fingers crossed).

Now for the positive:
    The computer just screams with speed and processing power. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I still use my MBA when on the road so I would advise you to keep your macbook. I'm a silver member as well with Best Buy, but when I was in the market for an imac I was told 15 days until I could not return it.

If you do end up buying it from an apple store I some how got comped a wired keyboard and track pad (on top of the magic mouse and wireless keyboard). Do not ask me how because I said to the salesman if I could exchange them for the number pad keyboard and trackpad, but he ended up contacting his manager who just comped it.

Lastly, buy apple care.

14. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Just wondering how did you test your iMac screen? Such as ghosting. Also, how bad was yours? Could you provide me some photos?

Cheers, hope you new one goes well :)

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Nothing can ever replace a desktop and the 27" iMac would be at the top of my list too!

16. Sputnek, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

Sputnek macrumors regular

I don't have any pics from the first two times this happened, but I did snap one just in case since it was the third time in a row. I never tested it and am not sure how to go about testing it. The issue would occur when I was using logic pro x and browsing the web.

Here is a link to the pic I took: http://imgur.com/hzg7Xin

17. henry72, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

This is REALLY bad!! I would not accept this screen on my iMac!!!! You could try this http://www.mitchmalone.name/retina-test/

These kind of issues just put me off a bit on Apple. Love-hate relationship :(
    Don't get me wrong, there is no way I'd buy any other brands, but I'd expect Apple have a higher QC than these rubbish screen quality. Makes me angry because I really love Apple but I'm not confident on getting a great quality product from Apple anymore. It has become a lotto game when I buy Apple products nowadays :(

Not to mention I have to deal with returns for a replacement almost every single time I buy an Apple products, and then ended up getting a refund because it's too much for me. I just got an iMac and I hope everything is fine.

What's up with all the 3rd party screens with Apple lately? iMac, MacBook Pro Retina, iPad etc... :(

18. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE: Thanks for all the advice guys. Went ahead and jumped on a 27" imac from best buy. Looks amazing on my desk. The screen size takes some getting used to going from a 13" but LOVE it so far. I bought the 2.9 GHz model. Anything I should try on it? Already downloaded final cut pro x, and creative suite. Any fun games i should download?

19. Sputnek macrumors regular

Congrats and enjoy!

20. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

A question I've been asking for years. :p

Anyways, congrats on the purchase!

21. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

wish i could say I was happy with mine. Bought it thinking I would never want to wall mount it. now i do and I cant because they changed the way the stand is. so there is no way to have a vesa mount put on it and apple wont do it even if i pay. I really hate not having the option to do either or.

22. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I have seen a 27 inch on craigslist for 1,200 and on Amazon for 1,300 used for the 2012 version. It's for my parents and I want it to work so a bit worried. Can't beat that price tho will rather wait till Sept 10th to find out if the new ones are coming out

23. Sputnek macrumors regular

Bootcamp to windows 7/8 if you want to play games a good variety of games. Other than Borderlands 2 and Starcraft II, I cannot think of any good games. Eve has about a year's learning curve.

If you do bootcamp and like strategy games I would take a look at total war, rome 2.

Bootcamp tips:
    Use USB 2 flash drive to store the ISO
    Must have wired mouse and wired keyboard

24. azure247 macrumors 6502

The 27 is amazing. I am glad I got it over the 24. I can divide two browsers and watch a tv show while reading forums. Or any combinations, possibility is endless!!!! sometimes I split the second browser into two so I have 3 things going on at once.

25. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Download Steam client and then get Team Forstress 2. The game is free nowadays.
    Minecraft is an exelent game. Starcraft 2, diablo 3, Borderlands 2 but i think you have to buy that one via app store. Dota 2.

Alot of games on the Mac nowdays and it gets better end better..