Considering buying a MBP but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSimpsons, Apr 15, 2012.

1. iSimpsons macrumors regular

I have a Windows 64bit tower at the moment, and it was getting a bit old and sluggish for the past 6 months now. So, i've been looking at a MacBook Pro 13" i5 with maybe a 128GB SSD, and 8GB of RAM.

I do have a YouTube Channel based on technology, it isn't that popular but I do some editing - I wouldn't call it advance, but sometimes it is just touching the advanced side.

So I was just wondering if the 2.4GHZ Core i5 MacBook Pro
    128GB SSD and 8GB RAM work well with editing, rendering and uploading 5 minute HD video. I am not completely certain about the 128GB SSD and 8GB RAM, I might just stick with the 500GB HDD and 4GB of RAM, so please give your thoughts on if this would work or not.

2. soulniz macrumors member

Don't buy a Mac now. A new and better MBP is to be released anytime soon, so I'd hold off on buy one now.

3. MrBullet macrumors member

If you don't need a new machine urgently, then I agree.

I think at the moment, the 13'' with the specs you have in mind will suffice, but you never know, in the near future you might start more advanced, heavy duty editing and then a more powerful would be a better option.

With regards to the 13'', 8GB of RAM is a must!

4. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

I too would suggest holding off, especially since you're targetting the 13". The 13" doesn't have a desecrate graphics card, and thus relies on the intel integrated graphics. The intel HD3000, which is on the Sandy Bridge processors, is decent enough for light usage, but the coming HD4000 with Ivy Bridge is around a 30% improvement and in real world usage that could be an important 30% for you. The CPU improvement is not as impressive (10 to 15%), but is still substantial enough that if you can wait until June, you might as well.

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Regarding your sluggish feeling windows box - have you reloaded windows?

And I'll echo the above comments - hold off until the next spin of MBP is released.