Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MsDalfo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Hello! My local Apple-Authorized reseller very recently got a 27" iMac in stock from a photographer that's buying something else. I'm thinking of buying it, but I have to make a decision soon because other people are apparently interested as well (but I called first).

Here's what I know:
i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 512 graphics card, new hard drive (apparently this model had a manufacturing error, and so he's replacing it for free), and a 9-month warranty. It's less than three years old, because it's still under a bit of Apple Care, but I don't know what year it is. They're asking $1,500.

I'm wondering if this is a good deal, if I should offer lower, or if I should hold out and wait for the market to get flooded with people upgrading to the newest generation that was just revealed a couple of weeks ago. I have a 2007 MacBook Pro that's still holding out, but I'm hoping to make this iMac my new primary machine.

I would rather buy something from Apple's refurbished store, but I hardly ever see many 27" in there, let alone with the specs I want.
Should I just buy this, replace the RAM, and not worry about it having an i5 processor?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC814LL/A
I'm going to be using the computer primarily for Adobe programs (but little to no video editing), and a little bit of gaming. I've heard the i7 is basically useful for video editing, and not very useful for any other kind of casual user; is that true?

Thank you for any advice you're willing to give, I appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Last edited:

MsDalfo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Wow, thanks a lot! Yeah, in that case, I'd be much better off getting that 2011 refurb.

Thank you very much.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
Consider waiting untill people actually get their new iMacs in a cupple of weeks. Prices surly will drop once everyone has a new mashine and decides to sell the old one of.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005

These go for about $1000 on ebay. The 2011's sell for about $1500. Apple store has the refurb 2011 for about $1500. Too old for that price, IMO

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Eligible for OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program

Originally released May 2011
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512MB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera
$1,419.00
Save $280.00
16% off

Select

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Eligible for OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program

Originally released May 2011
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics with 1GB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera
$1,599.00
Save $400.00
20% off

Select

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I wouldn't worry about the i5 processor in the 2011 model. I have a 2011 i5 and had a 2009 i5 before that. Both iMacs perform very well working with 30-40MB photo files in Lightroom.

MsDalfo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
The market will be more saturated once the new 2012 iMacs finally it the shelves. Wait until then.

But do you think the prices will drop in the Apple Refurb store? Do they do that?

Thank you, everyone else, for your replies. I went ahead and bought the one I linked to in my original post from the Refurb store, but I can always return it within two weeks if I decide to wait until December (which I probably will; lolbuyer'sremorse).

I wouldn't worry about the i5 processor in the 2011 model. I have a 2011 i5 and had a 2009 i5 before that. Both iMacs perform very well working with 30-40MB photo files in Lightroom.

That is good to hear!

--

Edit:
I went ahead and called in and cancelled the order. Even the lady on the phone told me it was probably a good idea to hold off until December. The wait is going to kill me, though. ;)

Thanks for the advice, guys! You probably saved me a good chunk of change (and not buying a 2009 iMac, hah).

Last edited:

MsDalfo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Anyone who keeps an eye on the Refurb store; do 27" iMacs ever come up with 2GB VRAM? I forgot you could even upgrade past 1GB. I don't really need it, but if I see one I may just get it.

Seems that people only get 2GB VRAM when they play the refurb lotto (did some google searches).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.