Considering buying an iMac for project

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zotaccian, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

So, now and then I buy some computers odd behaving or completely nonfunctional computers in hope to fix them. I came across this one iMac which the seller says is 21,5" model from 2010. He says that the machine works well except for random times when the video hangs but all sound continue to function, after some time everything works again. There are no artifacts or anything unusual on the screen during that time.

So, my question is if anyone can confirm that these are common syptoms with GPU failure or beginning of failure? Common with this model? Based on Googling it has Radeon card so it could very well be it, powerful card in tight enclosure = not good for reliability.

EDIT: No sorry, it has Nvidia GeForce 9400M card !

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I think you should give this one a pass. The NVIDIA 9400M is an integrated chip, and so I don't think you can replace it, because it's either soldered to the logic board, or part of the CPU.

I think you'll have better luck looking for a refurb mid-2011 Sandy Bridge iMac, or maybe even a refurb Ivy Bridge late-2012 iMac.

Perhaps you may qualify for the educational discount that Apple offers for Mac purchases. So if your budget allows, try going for a new Haswell iMac instead.

3. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

So you think it really is graphics problem? I would also immediately think so if there would artifacts or if the computer would crash but it does not. I googled that some people have had these kind of problems, not necessarily with this exact model, but in those cases they have suspected Adobe Flash acceleration to be the problem. Seller says it does hang couple times durin a week so if he is talking truth the issue does not appear that often, altough of course it shouldn't happen at all if all was well.

I don't absolutely need an iMac, just thinking of buying something interesting for a project.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Since the 9400M is integrated, it's hard to say. If it's soldered into the logic board, then it's a graphics problem. If it's part of the CPU, then it's something else. Either way, it can't be repaired.

Give this one a pass. It's safer to buy a refurb from the Apple store, because at least refurb models have been repaired and tested by Apple until it's like new, plus it comes with the usual one-year warranty like any new Mac.