Considering buying an iPad 3 after release, some quick questions.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MusicEnthusiast, Dec 10, 2011.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I've played with an iPad 1st Gen and it is really easy to use. I feel it would be a great asset to my education, more specifically that I might find it useful in classes (although I tend to write notes by hand since they consist of a lot of diagrams and sketches). Besides that, the only regular uses I would see myself doing are the occasional game when I'm on the bus going home, listen to music with headphones, and check/reply to email and facebook. I might get into recording my guitar and piano playing if I get the right equipment.

I just sold some old video games (I got $180 after splitting the earnings evenly with my brother) and my iPod Touch 32GB 2nd gen for $120. In the past, I used my iPod Touch to send text messages, but I recently picked up a prepaid android phone to take care of that. Plus, what I wanted to do with my iPod that my phone has more trouble doing (such as looking up things online) felt difficult due to the small screen. Because of that, I want to look into an iPad for ease of use and leisure. I am $200 away from the base priced iPad now. I also have a notebook (got it 2 years ago as a freshman) and a custom built desktop that I play all my graphics intensive games on (built August of this year).

Here are some simple questions I have about the iPad:

1. When using the iPad, does it feel like using an iPod Touch/iPhone, only larger?
    2. Are the iPad's capabilities worth paying more over a cheaper tablet?
    3. What do you use your iPad for?

I hope to use your feedback to help me consider buying one. Of course, those with iPads are sure to say "go for it!" but let's be honest, it's not for everyone. I am happily content with saving my money for a rainy day (I should be looking into a car for post graduation in less than 2 years...), yet I could sell more old belongings to compensate for an iPad. Thanks!

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

By the time the ipad 3 comes out, a used ipad2 will do you nicely and I'm sure you'll be able to score one for under $300.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

1. No, it's the other way around. The iPhone is a smaller iPad.
    2. Yes, I have used others and they do the work, if they decide to work in the first place – too much lag and other nonsense.
    3. PDF's, annotating, lots of notetaking with Notability and a Griffin rubber tip stylus, Books, writing my own books (I have already published 2 on the iBook store), playing awesome games, keeping my CAD drawings in sync through AutoCAD WS, and much more.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Some people love it, others like me are just fine with the portability of the iPhone instead.

Are you interested in the 3G or Wi-Fi only?

Anyway, I do prefer the iPhone instead of the iPad. But that is just me. I find the iPad not so comfortable to hold for more than a few minutes. Specially while laying in bed or a sofa, or also trying to see with my neck all stretched looking down is very annoying. Unless it is laying on a table with something to hold it straight it is tiresome.

Lugging the extra weight is a real pain. iPad 2 has mediocre cameras, and very poor screen resolution in comparison with the Retina Display.

iPad 3 might be something else, and might be comparable to the experience of the Retina display (if the rumors are true).
    Maybe the iPad 3 has 4G support.

Yes iPad is a big iPod. The iPod touch has gotten better nowadays.

Why do you prefer the Android phone?

If I were in your situation I will have only an iPhone 4 or 4S, unless you are planning to read a lot for your studies out of the iPad.

The iPad is supposed to be very good for reading eBooks, and magazines, but for me the screen looks so bad in comparison with the iPhone 4.
    As you can notice I am spoiled with the Retina display.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

1. Yes and no. I'm not sure the question is a very useful one.
    2. Reading, writing, notetaking (typewritten and handwritten), recording, presenting, Internet, TV, etc.

I have started threads on using the iPad in an academic setting. Lots of other people have as well. Take a look at those if you get a chance. It's not for everyone, but it has great potential. Good luck!

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I think your best bet is to visit an Apple store and get your hands on the iPad 2 so you can make your own judgments about its tactility.

In my opinion, absolutely.

Consuming, creating, and communication. Broad terms, I know, but I use it constantly at work and home, from research, to jotting down my grocery list, to texting (free) friends and family. And much more.

It's terrific that you've been saving your money to make a cash purchase - but keep in mind that there's no guarantee that the price of the iPad 3 will be the same as the iPad 2.

7. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Thanks for all the wonderful replies so far everybody. It's been quite a fun experience digging through my house for things I forgot I had and hardly use, and the ability to sell them to make some extra cash gives me some new ideas.

@McGiord, the reason why I use an android phone isn't necessarily because I prefer one. In all honesty, I would prefer an iPhone, but I am on a Virgin Mobile USA prepaid plan, which is the cheapest plan for me to fulfill my needs ($25 beyond talk plan). They probably won't ever have an iPhone, so I have learned to adapt to Android for the cost benefits. It's too bad the iPhone is tiered to such expensive carriers and plans! I'm looking at WiFi only, specifically due to my situation with Virgin Mobile. And yes, the retina display would be very nice to have.

Taking notes via electronics sounds so much nicer, but I always seem to remember more after I refer to them later if I wrote them down from the very beginning.

8. Cobster macrumors member

Wait!

Wait, plz wait for the iPad 4 - it Will be sooooo munch better....:rolleyes:
    Or perhaps even iPad 5....

9. OSMac macrumors 65816

+1

Unless you have money to burn, grab a refurb or used iPad 2 after the 3 is announced. If the 3 has a retina display people will be dumping used iPads at low prices like never before.

For people trying to save some money while getting a good product that is the answer.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I would expect a price increase due to the more expensive display. While it will be worth it to some, others may not be able to afford it, or want it.

I use mine as an alternative device. It's fine for occasional web browsing & such. But I'm just not that taken by it's form factor. I'd much rather use my MBA or MBP since they are light, have full sized keyboards & are so much faster. Not to mention having a file system.

The people I know who are big iPad users are ones who don't need a computer.

11. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

Have you seen the freaking Asus transformer prime? :eek: Don't wait for the ipad 3, the transformer crushes everything on the market today. So I don't doubt it will at least be on par with the iPad 3 (unless it has a retina display, wouldn't that be sweet)

http://eee.asus.com/en/eeepad/transformer-prime/features

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

The Asus Prime looks great. But, it's Android, and it's not even going to compare to the iPad 3's display. If we weren't expecting the iPad 3 so soon, I might bite.

13. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I saw that. I'd have to try it in person as well as read reviews before I make a good opinion of its performance.

I went to my university bookstore to play with the iPad 2 today and the camera looked fine (both front and back) on the iPad's screen, though I'm not sure how they'd look on my computer screen. No lag, very "snappy", even with about 7 pages of apps on it! I love the accelerometer too, much more responsive than my current Android phone, which takes up to 4 seconds sometimes to switch between portrait and landscape mode.

14. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

Since we don't know about the screen as of yet, we can't really say much. It would be really disappointing to get the prime and see the iPad upgrade its screen for some people so at this point waiting might be a better idea.

I totally agree about the reviews. After the kindle fire turned out slightly lower than expectations I wouldn't buy anything before reading reviews. But I've read nearly every review for the Prime out there and there's not a single reviewer that's not raving about how amazing it is. Faster than the iPad according to every reviewer out there. And that speed goes down to opening and closing apps and switching menus. Not like I can afford a tablet right now anyways :p

15. danahn17 macrumors 6502

1. When using the iPad, does it feel like using an iPod Touch/iPhone, only larger?

The iPad to me feels very different than an iPhone (which i used to own). The extra screen space makes it much more versatile and powerful. I'm very happy with mine....except for maybe the cameras on the iPad which suck massively... I don't know the specifics of the camera inside, but i swear my old iPhone 3GS took better pics than the iPad 2.

2. Are the iPad's capabilities worth paying more over a cheaper tablet?

I haven't tried out any other tablets, but I've been very happy with my iPad. I do own some Android devices however. My Galaxy SII phone works really well, so I'm assuming if you have a higher-end Android tablet, it should compare similarly to an iPad.

I know the iPad isn't exactly designed for music composing, but if that is something you wish to explore, Apple's got some great music making apps (GarageBand, various Korg apps, etc) whereas Android's is quite lacking. Though admittedly those apps can get fairly pricey, especially the Korg ones. I think in general too, Apple's App Store is a bit cleaner and better than Android's.

Music is better on the iPad/iPhone too if you sync thru iTunes. Getting music to sync with my Galaxy SII is a bit of a pain...

3. What do you use your iPad for?

I actually bought it for note taking as well.

What are you studying in school? When you take notes now, do you do it on pen&paper? Or on a computer?

If diagramming and picture drawing is really important, I'm not 100% sure on the iPad. I have one and bought it initially for note taking and such. I would download the powerpoints to iAnnotate (after converting them to PDF which was a bit of a pain) and then would write on the powerpoint with a stylus (I've tried many types from cheapie brands to a $50 stylus). I found it wasn't quite as sensitive as i needed it to be so I dropped the use of the iPad + stylus. Not sure if any other tablet alternatives would be better though (I haven't really looked). Typing on the onscreen keyboard is also not quite the same as having a physical keyboard. I know you can buy a BT keyboard but it seems you're on a budget and buying a BT keyboard will just add to your costs (plus you'll have to carry around more things).

In terms of looking things up, the iPad is great. However, sometimes, I find it simply easier to use my computer. I can type faster on a computer than on an iPad and things like cut, copy, paste are much easier. Additionally, not all websites work well on an iPad.

Those are just some thoughts. My gut instinct for you is to save the money. You have a laptop which (unless it is dying) should do most of what an iPad does. Save your money for the car... or music recording equipment (monitors, software, USB or FW interfaces, external HDs, mics, etc... they're not cheap either!).

16. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Yeah, but thats not what OP is asking so figure it out then reply

17. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I believe there's a reason why the Asus Transformer has better hardware for the same price as a lower-specced iPad. The device is new- I feel that there hasn't been much time in showing how well Android OS integrates with general hardware. On the other hand, Apple is well beyond its 2nd year developing their tablet models, on the way to year 3. I can live with Windows perfectly fine, but when it comes to Android I am uncertain. Android OS has a good file system in place, but I've always liked the native iOS feel on my iPod Touch. That is why I'd love to get an iPhone, but due to cost constraints I am using an Android.

I'm an atmospheric science major, so along with lots of drawing on weather diagrams and compiling code in Matlab, I don't see myself utilize the iPad in my major classes. However, that doesn't account for electives and my Japanese minor. I've given the iPad a thought since I started this thread, and now I feel like I won't depend on it like I do with my notebook and desktop. It would be another $500 on a cool gadget I'd play with a lot the first month, then time to time after that.

Perhaps when my notebook decides to say goodbye (hopefully after I graduate), I will invest in an iPad and keyboard solely as a portable machine.

18. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

I've had extensive hands on time with the asus transformer TF101 and the iPad 2 and I'd have to say the iPad 2 blows the asus out of the water. The asus screen may be bigger and better, but the OS is slow and laggy just like any other droid. And that was when I was setting it up for my aunt too.

19. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Thanks for the tip, nickster9224. I'm itching to get rid of this android for an iPhone if it ever comes out for Virgin Mobile!!!

Speaking of the iPad, I found more things to sell here at home. Probably $300 more in value, actually. With this, I might end up going for an iPad when the 3rd gens are released. My notebook is coming back from its repair in a few days, and I could pass this on to my mom while I use the iPad for portable means.

20. takeshi74, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

In a sense, yes. In a sense, no. The larger screen makes more of a difference IMO than just being bigger.

Worth is always highly subjective no matter what the topic. I found the iPad 2 to be worth buying over cheaper options. Whether you (or anyone else) do is an entirely separate matter. You need to provide more information on yourself if you want feedback on this point.

You can return the device (before time runs out) if you buy it and find it doesn't meet your needs as suggested in countless other threads asking questions like this. Don't assume the the sale is final. First hand experience in real world usage is your best indicator to the suitability of any option you're looking into.

Also a subjective matter.

Always a possibility and we can't speak to that for you. You know yourself infinitely better than we do for obvious reasons.

21. Aussieiphone macrumors regular

Retina will rule

Gotta say that Transformer's specs and the depth of it are pretty sweet.

But I'm really liking the iOS.

For a college student, check out the app inClass and notes by paperport.