Considering buying an MBP and wanted some feedback/opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wineandcarbs, May 31, 2008.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I'm interested in buying a Mac notebook and will be doing so within the next few months. Initially I was interested primarily in the Macbook because of the smaller footprint and therefore portability, but I'm now looking at the MBP instead. I like the bigger screen and the LED backlighting. My main concern, however, is with the wireless range. I've been thinking carefully about my needs and I will primarily be using it places where I have my own wireless network (my parents' house and at my apartment). So, I won't be relying on it to pick up unsecured networks nearby, however I need to be certain that it will be able to pick up and maintain a fast connection with our own wireless networks.

At my parents' house my bedroom is 2 floors above the router. The router is in the basement and my room is on the second floor. After reading various things about the MBP and wifi, I'm worried that the MBP might have trouble picking up the signal and maintaining a signal/fast connection. Does anyone have any input on this? Does anyone else have their router that far away? f so, do you have any difficulty with the wifi? My current laptop (I'd be switching from a 13.3" Sony Vaio) picks up the signal fine, but when I look at the details the signal strength ranges from Low to Good (2 - 3 bars), but 54mbps. I'm hoping that I'd get the same performance from the MBP.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance :)

EDIT: I forgot to ask in my original post... I'm also debating between the two 15" MBPs. For general/basic usage (internet, chatting, movies, music, managing photos, etc.) is the base MBP sufficient? Would the better video card and 2.5/2.6ghz vs 2.4 make a difference for someone using it the way I would be? TIA. :)

2. bart rijksen macrumors regular

The base model is sufficient, and i have no problems with the wireless, so i don't think you will have problems

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Base model is sufficient; I can get wireless from one side of the house in the basement from the access point on the opposite side of the house in the attic.

Of course I do have signal boosters and high-gain antenna, but it just shows there isn't anything bad about the Airport reception.

4. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I am confident that your MBP should be able to pick up the signals well, if your other computers are able to pick it up.

5. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

I have a large old wood / stucco 2 story house and am able use Airport Extreme and MBP & MB throughout the whole house with no problems.
    I was not able to due this with linksys or dlink routers.

Either MBP or MB will work for you just fine.
    The 15.4" LCD is a nice upgrade over the 13" MB screen, but MB size is more convenient when traveling.
    Get a base system and use the saved money to upgrade memory, larger HD and a large external monitor.

Save yourself some more money and get a apple :apple: refurbished unit.

6. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

Hmm, we have a linksys router at my parents' house and that's what I have at my apartment (but my apartment is not very big so I don't foresee it being an issue there). My dad is kinda reluctant to make changes when it comes to technology, unfortunately...hopefully the linksys will be okay. I guess otherwise I'll have to convince him to let me switch the routers. lol.

Thanks for the input :) The 15.4" LCD is definitely a nice upgrade. Initially I was only considering the MB because of the added portability but I just graduated from school and now have only one more year (second degree) so I think my portability needs have changed a bit now that I won't be lugging a laptop from class to class. My current computer, a Vaio, is a 13" so I figure if I really needed something more portable (if I were traveling or something) I could use that temporarily in a pinch. Thanks for your buying advice!