Considering Buying an MBP: Buy Now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kashkha, Apr 20, 2009.

1. kashkha macrumors member

Hey everyone, I'm considering buying an MBP (it would be my first Mac), and was wondering whether I should buy it within the next month or hold off for a while. According to the buyer's guide it's mid-cycle, so do you guys think it's worth waiting? As far as I can tell the only rumored update which may or may not drop in June is the possible inclusion of Nehalem processors. Thanks for the help, and can't wait to get my MBP!

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

buy it now. Nehalem probably isnt coming until nov or dec at the earliest.

3. kashkha thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm...is Nehalem the only update on the radar for MBPs as of now? I haven't really seen anything else on MR or anywhere else over the past few months.

4. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I asked myself the same question, as you are, last month. I pulled the trigger and got my new MBP. Regardless of what you may decide upon . . . Enjoy your new Mac when you get it. ;)

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you'll find that waiting for the next big thing doesnt work to well. the current MBP's will be fine for the average users needs for the next 3-4 years. i mean there are still people out there using powerbooks for some pretty advanced use. if the uni can do everything you need it too then buy it now. if you always wait for the next best thing you will be waiting for eternity.

6. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Well said, I just sold my PowerBook G4. It could do everything, including play World of Warcraft on a secondary monitor. The current MBP should be good for the next 2-3 years.

Of course, waiting for Nehalem would mean getting the advantage that Snow Leopard might be heavily optimized for multi-threading.

7. kashkha thread starter macrumors member

True, I guess I just wanted to know whether there was something major slated for June that I had overlooked.

I won't really wait until the end of the year, I'll probably just get Snow Leopard when it comes out. I'll be using it for heavy graphics work using photoshop, illustrator, flash, after effects, etc. I wanna be able to run these at the same time without any problems. A little gaming prowess wouldn't hurt as well.

8. krimz macrumors newbie

I'm also considering buying the new MBP. But I'm worried by the reports on the issue with the weak hinge. If it's as loose as demonstrated on www.fixthehinge.com/ then I'm not wasting my money. What happens after 1-2 years of daily usage, will the problem become even worse?

9. kashkha thread starter macrumors member

Crap I didn't know about this. One of the major reasons I was switching to Mac was better build quality. I'm posting this from an ASUS laptop with a completely busted screen hinge (after being sent in once for repairs). How prevalent is this issue?

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i highly doubt the hinge is going to be that big a deal. it shouldnt get worse over time, if it does then that is why we have apple care. also it's going to be a long time before you see a major update to the design of the MBP. the processor may change in the coming year but i highly doubt the hinge is a major concern of apple's. i wouldnt hold out for a hinge update for a while.

11. zorahk macrumors 6502

Wow people on the internet are idiots.

The hinge issue is not an "issue"
    The computer's hinge was designed to be easier to open and close than the previous macbook pro's. Deal with it.

12. krimz macrumors newbie

You sir, need to stop drinking the kool-aid.

The macbook and the macbook pro uses the same hinge. The macbook pro screen is heavier (obviously) than the one on the macbook. It's not a design decision, rather it's an attempt at optimizing the assembly and cutting costs. Apple's claim of this being a design feature is just their way of covering their asses.

Edit: Thanks for your input ViciousShadow21.