Considering buying Apple TV - Streaming Video Question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Aurial, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Aurial macrumors 6502

Hi everyone.

Sorry if this has already been answered. I've had a quick scout around the forum and searched with Google before asking.

I've got a Windows PC streaming media to my PS3 using TVersity ( www.tversity.com ). It's great because it transcodes my videos/music so that it plays in whatever format is required by the 'receiving' hardware, and as such I can stream to my iPhone too over my home network.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to stream using TVersity to an Apple TV unit (whether out of the box or I have to do anything to modify it). My goal would be to buy one for the bedroom so I could also stream my media to a TV there.

If it's not possible can anyone suggest a way to do it using other software/methods? I'd prefer not to have to convert all my movies for Apple TV, I'd prefer to transcode and stream them on the fly.

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. gotroxs macrumors newbie

TVersity

I had tried TVersity with the PS3 and found that only mp4's created by CloneDVDmobile were able to be read by the iTunes and the PS3. I did not continue to use this because I was just trying the trial version. Ended up using Handbrake. There are more options for converting the media and you can setup a queue where on CloneDVDmobile it was one at a time.

But it is possible.