Considering buying Apple TV Used

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stockcerts, Jan 10, 2010.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I am considering buying one of the 40gig models on eBay. Is there much difference besides the hard drive capacity with the models that are currently for sale new? Thanks!

2. carlcosby macrumors member

No difference, other than hard drive capacity, like you say. If you hack the ATV, you can add a much larger external hard drive by using the ATV's USB port. There are plenty of threads on here explaining how the ATV hack is done.

Carl

3. j2048b macrumors 6502a

how much on ebay? just asking becuase i may post up one in the marketplace?

thanks

4. carlcosby macrumors member

I paid £185 for my ATV brand new and sealed, but I have a 160 GB HD

5. paduck macrumors 6502

I got a 40GB one a year ago for about $60 (no remote or powercord). I just bought a second Apple TV for a different in the last few weeks for $92 (included cord and remote). The price is going up because the 40GB isn't available new anymore, but there is still some demand. Most of the ones in excellent shape are going for upwards of $135 now. That's for the 40GB version. The 160GB is pushing $200.

You can get an Apple refurbed 160GB for $189 straight from Apple with warranty. The 40GB version goes for $149. Both with free shipping.

6. andyloc macrumors member

can I ask where from please? I'm from UK and just paid £219 for a brand new sealed one from Apple! That's £35 difference.

Have you "added" anything? ATV Flash or using it stock Apple? I've got a lot of avi's that I will have to convert if keep stock Apple