Considering Buying Canon HV20

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nomad2010, Sep 28, 2007.

1. nomad2010 macrumors newbie

im seriously considering buying a canon hv20. mainly because of it being high def and reviews being very good. but im on a 17" iMac and how can i record in 1080p and burn onto a standard dvd getting the same picture quality? also, what editing program should i buy. will final cut express 3 hd work with this?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You won't get 1080p on a standard DVD. You'll need Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for that and those are expensive. If you just want to take family video, etc. Use the new iMovie. It is fantastic for that sort of thing.

3. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

The HV20 is a fantastic camcorder. It works seemlessly with iMovie, and Final Cut. The 24p also comes in handy in low light.

4. nomad2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a blu-ray disc player. but how can you burn to one of them? apple doesn't support burning on them so what do you do?

also what should you use to edit footage in 24p?

5. prs986 macrumors regular

Either iMovie or Final Cut Express will work great since the HV20's 24p isn't "true" 24 frames progressive. But it sure does look awesome!

6. nomad2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

i thought that final cut express hd couldnt handle the 24p though?

2 last questions.

1. Can i record in 1080p and then when i burn it to a standard dvd will it shrink it down to fit (a normal dvd wont play 1080p) so does that mean it compresses it? or does that mean i need to film in a lower quality?

2. To burn 1080p.. how can you do this when mac does not have blu-ray burners available? like i stated before i have a blu-ray disc player. can that record it somehow?

7. prs986 macrumors regular

From the HV20 it can because the 24p recorded by the HV20 is not true 24 frames per second. It's 24p wrapped in a 29.97 wrapper.......if that makes any sense. I don't really know how to explain it. If you scrub through 24f (not 24p or progressive) you can see that there are not 24 frames for every second, you will see some interlaced frames which make it 29.97. And thats why Final Cut Express can handle the 24f from the HV20. I'm sorry if this doesnt make sense.......i'm not the best at describing tech stuff. Maybe someone else will chime in to explain it better.

Your other question, yes when you burn to DVD it will compress it to SD quality.....but the quality will still be amazing!

To burn to blu ray you need a blu ray recorder and those are expensive and I don't know of any programs that support blu ray output.

8. nomad2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh no i understood that completely. i had problems with interlacing videos a while back and learned all about it.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

the latest Toast can burn to blu-ray. but again, you have to have an external blu-ray recorder...which isn't cheap.

this is really the thing holding me back from getting that camera. but since you already have a bluray player, you're one step closer than i am

10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

http://cineform.blogspot.com/2007/07/canon-hv20-24p-or-not.html

And I quote:

Adobe Encore CS3 supports blu-ray output:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/encore/

Your post seems to me to be a lot of disinformation regarding subjects that you know little about. I'm no expert.. but I've read enough to know your post is incorrect and that the links I offer are to actual information.

11. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I brought a HV20 last month for my holiday to Palm Springs. Have to say we got the other day and watched the footage direct from the camera via HDMI our Toshiba 37WLT68 set.

The footage was AWESOME!! I mean jaw droppingly good, better than I would have ever expected and leagues ahead of my old regular Sony MiniDV Handycam.

Get one :D

12. seany916 macrumors 6502

This'll only work/display on a computer, NOT a HD-DVD player (no Blu Ray). If you're working on FCS:

Export the file via QT in a self contained movie (just leave the settings as current).

Using Compressor, encode it to an HD-DVD H.264 setting.

In DSP, change the DVD standard to HD from SD and from Preferences, choose the correct resolution for your flavor of HD. Click "Build" and you're good to go.

I know there are more tweaks to this workflow as it was taught 2nd hand to me be my partner who read it from an article posted on a website. It does work though and it isn't hard. Just remember that the amount of playing time is limited by a DVD 5's measly true 4.3 GBs of space. And it only plays on computers.

13. prs986 macrumors regular

Then why is it when you record in 24p on the HV20 and play back in Quicktime and then look at the movie inspector, it says the frame rate is 29.97? You have to use a inverse telecine to get true 24p out of the HV20.

14. colto macrumors regular

Because of the nature of DV itself. It is a limitation of DV as well as the 1440x1080 rather than 1920x1080 recording. You are using a true 1920x1080 sensor and true 24p recording BUT to fit all of the data on the disk in the required format the video is scaled to 1440x1080 and an extra frame is added by duplicating the second progressive frame(MPEG2 works by capturing a progressive frame and then recording the changes to that frame for 1/2 second then recording another progressive frame) effectively bumping the drop-frame 24F (23.976fps) to drop-frame 30F(29.976fps). By using an inverse telecine you remove the extra frame and recover your original footage. The lost pixels however can not be recovered as they were scaled from 1920 to 1440 pixels. Hope that helps some. :)

15. prs986 macrumors regular

colto thanks for clearing this up! Great info!