Considering Canceling my Retina iMac Order... Advice?

Slyth66

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
32
0
I apologize in advance for this topic. I'm a very undecided person.

Right now I'm running an Early 2011 MacBook Pro, with a 2.2 GHz i7 processor and Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.

I was hoping for an updated iMac 21.5" with this upgrade, since I'm not a fan of the larger screen size for my needs. As soon as it was announced I ordered the new Retina iMac, with the upgraded option for both the GPU and CPU for a total of $3011 since I'm a college student.

However, for my editing work that I do, my MBP works just fine and the only problems I've been running into lately have to do with my screen and possibly GPU (had it repaired/replaced by Apple in December.)

So I was thinking... maybe I should just hold off and buy a nice 21.5" monitor that I can later use as a secondary screen for an iMac along with a trackpad / keyboard and just use my MBP for now with an external display. That way... whenever they actually do announce a Retina/upgraded 21.5" iMac, I can buy that and even use my monitor as a second screen.

So my questions are:
1) Has anyone used their MBP without the display and just permanently hooked it to a monitor? How well does that work? Do you leave it on always? Are you using an Apple Trackpad or another brand? Any questions you could answer would be beyond helpful!

2) Is it really worth putting $3000 into right now if my current computer is doing fine other than occasional display issues and a recently replaced GPU? PS: That was about 1/2 my savings account but I felt it was justified at the time...

Again, I'm really sorry about creating this topic, but anyone who could answer a question or both would really help me out. This will be my largest purchase since my MBP although my mom paid for most of that as my high school graduation present.
 

fa8362

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
1,340
54
I apologize in advance for this topic. I'm a very undecided person.

Right now I'm running an Early 2011 MacBook Pro, with a 2.2 GHz i7 processor and Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.

I was hoping for an updated iMac 21.5" with this upgrade, since I'm not a fan of the larger screen size for my needs. As soon as it was announced I ordered the new Retina iMac, with the upgraded option for both the GPU and CPU for a total of $3011 since I'm a college student.

However, for my editing work that I do, my MBP works just fine and the only problems I've been running into lately have to do with my screen and possibly GPU (had it repaired/replaced by Apple in December.)

So I was thinking... maybe I should just hold off and buy a nice 21.5" monitor that I can later use as a secondary screen for an iMac along with a trackpad / keyboard and just use my MBP for now with an external display. That way... whenever they actually do announce a Retina/upgraded 21.5" iMac, I can buy that and even use my monitor as a second screen.

So my questions are:
1) Has anyone used their MBP without the display and just permanently hooked it to a monitor? How well does that work? Do you leave it on always? Are you using an Apple Trackpad or another brand? Any questions you could answer would be beyond helpful!

2) Is it really worth putting $3000 into right now if my current computer is doing fine other than occasional display issues and a recently replaced GPU? PS: That was about 1/2 my savings account but I felt it was justified at the time...

Again, I'm really sorry about creating this topic, but anyone who could answer a question or both would really help me out. This will be my largest purchase since my MBP although my mom paid for most of that as my high school graduation present.
I'd cancel it immediately since you don't need it, and you're a college student. In the future, there will be plenty of opportunities to blow money on things you don't need...but at least then, you'll have a job to somewhat make up for it.
 
Last edited:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
2,527
964
Spending half of your savings on anything is very hard to justify. So unless the iMac will let you generate substantial income that you can't get with your current setup, which is doubtful, you should cancel the order. If your MacBook Pro dies or can't do the job for some reason, you could consider a refurb from Apple or a used desktop or laptop.
 

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
1,112
28
California
Cancel it.

27" is too big and gaudy for a college student. It's not going to get you laid.

You'd be better served putting that money in a savings account and getting a refurb rMBP when your 2011 dies. Consider putting a SSD in your 2011 to speed it up. When the MBP dies take it out and use it as an external.
 

Slyth66

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
32
0
Spending half of your savings on anything is very hard to justify. So unless the iMac will let you generate substantial income that you can't get with your current setup, which is doubtful, you should cancel the order. If your MacBook Pro dies or can't do the job for some reason, you could consider a refurb from Apple or a used desktop or laptop.
That's actually very true. I mean if my MBA does die before they announce a new smaller iMac them I would probably go ahead and get the 27" but I don't need to rush out and get one now.

I'm just getting sick of my 15" screen but a monitor would satisfy my needs for only a couple hundred dollars (with the cost of a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad).
 

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
5,160
920
Live your life. That mean if you love the imac buy it...if not cancel and do something else with the money
 

Slyth66

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
32
0
Cancel it.

27" is too big and gaudy for a college student. It's not going to get you laid.

You'd be better served putting that money in a savings account and getting a refurb rMBP when your 2011 dies. Consider putting a SSD in your 2011 to speed it up. When the MBP dies take it out and use it as an external.
Haha, I do have an apartment so I would technically have room for the 27" but I just don't like looking at something that big up close, I'd rather have 2 smaller monitors so I can run something full screen on the other.

Excellent idea about the SSD, although I'll have to do some research on doing that since I do have a good amount of stuff on this drive (games, apps, etc) that I don't think would work as well if I run them through an external drive.
 

0007776

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
6,474
8,051
Somewhere
From your post it sounds like you don't need it, so I'd stick with what you have for now, and upgrade later. Plus you can use the time with the MBP and an external monitor to see if you really want a desktop.
 

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
1,019
644
PA
Is it really worth putting $3000 into right now if my current computer is doing fine other than occasional display issues and a recently replaced GPU? PS: That was about 1/2 my savings account but I felt it was justified at the time...
I think the retina iMac is a very expensive computer, and if you are not 100% sure you need/want it, do not buy it.
 

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
448
140
Haha, I do have an apartment so I would technically have room for the 27" but I just don't like looking at something that big up close, I'd rather have 2 smaller monitors so I can run something full screen on the other.

Excellent idea about the SSD, although I'll have to do some research on doing that since I do have a good amount of stuff on this drive (games, apps, etc) that I don't think would work as well if I run them through an external drive.
I think you answered your own question here...cancel and get 2 smaller monitors.
 

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
516
138
Waltham, MA
It would be one thing if you said you were loving the idea of the large monitor and super excited to work with it, but instead you're saying how it's not really quite what you're looking for.

Even if you weren't a college student on a budget, after hearing that I'd say spending 3k on something that doesn't really match your ideal situation is not a wise idea. So, yeah, cancel!
 

Slyth66

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
32
0
It would be one thing if you said you were loving the idea of the large monitor and super excited to work with it, but instead you're saying how it's not really quite what you're looking for.

Even if you weren't a college student on a budget, after hearing that I'd say spending 3k on something that doesn't really match your ideal situation is not a wise idea. So, yeah, cancel!
Thank you and everyone for your responses, they were really helpful. Cancelled my order today and spent about $300 for a 21.5" monitor/apple keyboard/apple trackpad. May consider upgrading to an SSD in the future, especially if there are any great Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales.

You helped me realize that I really didn't need an upgraded computer yet because mine is running just fine. While I'm a bit sad I won't be getting a gorgeous display, these small upgrades will make a big difference and will be just what I need for now.

Thanks again.