Considering ditching iPhone for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sparky1499, Jan 28, 2011.

1. sparky1499 macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2008
    Glasgow, UK
    I'm seriously considering it as the iPad has a bigger screen for email and video for starters.

I use IMAP email on my iPhone, and now I'm realising that I need IMAP LESS AND LESS and it kills the battery so much so that when I'm at work its plugged into my spare USB port on my workstation.

I also have a MiFi for my Powerbook when I'm out and about.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I don't want to get an Android phone or such like. A simple phone, mifi and iPad perhaps?

2. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Its kind of hard to make a phone call on an iPad ;)

To be serious, I'm using my iPad more and my droidx much less because it works so much better. I still need a phone though. :)
  3. jonhcox macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2010
    North Carolina
    Honestly, I've run that idea through my head A LOT. I'm in the process of trimming expenses so that my wife can stay at home with my toddler. One of the biggest expenses is the cell phone bill. If I could get a cheap flip we could save nearly $100 a month. Most, if not all of the areas that I work in have wi-fi access so I could get email via the iPad. Plus I have my MBP. I do listen to Slacker Plus on my iPhone in the car (cache stations) and I really enjoy that. I'm pretty sure I can do that with the iPad. I would definitely need a 64GB iPad for that to be a smart idea.

It's doable, just need to make sure I want to make that kind of switch. There are many ways I could use the iPad for work.
  4. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2008
    N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    I gave my iPhone to my daughter ( have to carry a Blackberry for work) , bought a "go phone" and canceled the data plan. Then just set the cheap phone to forward all calls to my Blackberry number. Saves $25 a month, which goes to the iPad data plan. Text go to either phone or iPad through google voice. It seemed silly to have an iPhone with an iPad with a lot of the same apps ( and another work phone available ). iPads larger screen is better and goes almost everywhere.
  5. TITNTUFF macrumors regular

Aug 9, 2010
    West Louisiana
    I'm Planning

on going iPad 2 3g wifi, and getting the cheapest phone I can find and put Google Voice to work.
  6. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2010
    I've been with T-Mobile for over twelve years and simply refuse to change carriers due to the cheap price of my grandfathered plan and unlimited data.

That in mind, I carry a MyTouch 4G and use it's wireless router feature with my iPad. The results are wonderful. ::eek:

I wish the iPhone would have come to T-Mobile, but guess I can't have it all.
  7. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2010
    From my perspective these are two different devices. Frankly I cannot agree with comparing them or choosing one over the other. The only aspect that makes any sense to me is if one cannot afford both.

If that's the case, I cannot see giving up a phone for an iPad.

Not to upset anyone, but after the newness wore off, I simply didn't get excited nor feel compelled to use my iPad. Yes I've already sold it because I plan to buy the next gen, but only because it's convenient way to surf the web at a whim. Not because it's essential. I'm only buying it because I can. It's certainly not a must have item.
  8. 3goldens macrumors 68000

Feb 26, 2008
    you do that, your within your rights to do that.
    refresh our memory why are we supposed to care?
  9. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2007
    That's exactly what I use, and it works for me. But then, I refuse to get a job where I'm on call to fix things or have to check email constantly. And I don't care about carrying it around all the time so I can look things up on the spur of the moment. The great thing about email is that you can answer it on your schedule, so I don't need to carry around a portable email device either.

But then some people like texting and like being constantly interrupted. So that setup is not for everybody.
  10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2009
    Which iPhone do you have? If it's the iPhone 4 you might want to wait until the iPad gets the double-dpi screen, probably next year. :)
  11. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2011
    The only thing is... Which would you rather carry around all the time? I have an iPad and an Android phone, and while I do prefer the iPad for doing stuff, the phone is much more convenient. It fits nicely in my pocket and I don't have to worry about carrying an extra item. Especially since the iPad is such an awkwardly in-between size.
  12. sparky1499 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2008
    Glasgow, UK