considering first jailbreak, need info/answers

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 0v3rki11, Jul 7, 2009.

1. 0v3rki11 macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G OS 3.0
    PC User

Firstly, there seem to be quite a few apps out there for jailbreaking and unlocking.

So my first question is, if jailbreaking only (I have an AT&T contract), which app has had the most success/ease of use? QuickPwn or Redsn0w?

Secondly, will jailbreaking the phone unlock the tethering and MMS abilities that AT&T is holding back on? :mad:

Third, I'm aware that any OS updates will un-jailbreak the phone, but will "syncing" the iPhone with iTunes cause any unwanted problems after jailbreaking?

And lastly, since AT&T is on the verge of losing me as a customer as is, if I do decide to unlock the phone will a new SIM be required or is there an app that can be used to open the SIM to the other carrier networks?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    1. Quickpwn is discontinued. The new name for that program is Redsn0w (mac/pc). You can use Pwnage Tool (Mac) also, but redsn0w is more convenient if you have already updated to 3.0.

2. I believe you can easily enable tethering, but the MMS is much more difficult to enable, and requires lying to AT&T.

3. Syncing will continue like normal, you won't notice a difference or get any adverse effects.

4 .If you download Ultrasn0w from the repo "repo666.ultrasn0w.com" in cydia it will unlock the phone, you can put any sim card in it, and it will work fine. :)

3. 0v3rki11 thread starter macrumors newbie

2) I have no problem lying to AT&T, they lie to me so why not.

4) so bottom line i'm still gonna have to get a different SIM card if i jump ship for another carrier. i can live with that.

thanks for the quick response, can't wait to get off work and get home now. :D

4. thep33t macrumors regular

Yes, you will need a new sim card, however, any carrier you get will provide you with this anyways