considering getting a mac for my lab.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by austinsevo, Dec 17, 2008.

1. austinsevo macrumors regular

I work for a company that needs me to work on their mac's quite a bit. I know about them from former jobs but id like to become more of an entheuist like i am with PCs. Im not looking to buy a new one just in case this is just a phase for me.

so my question is what can i buy that will support 10.5 but not break my bank? Im looking to spend as little as possible but still get something that will support me toying around with the system and OS.

maybe a early G4? or late G3?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Neither an early G4 nor a G3 can run Leopard.

Also, both of those would be worthless for any real work, anyway.

Get the Mac Pro that is out now once the Nehalem Mac Pros come out.

Or perhaps tell us what you do so you don't waste a bunch of money on a Mac Pro.

3. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

just get aquianted with the feel of it. Install different apps, open it up and see how everything is set up (im a tech dont worry). Get the feel for the tools and settings... i just want something to play with at home that i dont have to worry about breaking. And if i do ill just reformat it.

what version of G4 can run leopard?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, something to just fiddle with?

Hmm...

Call to people who know:

Can you get an Intel Mac Mini for less than the best G4/5 PowerMac?

If so, that's the way to go.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'd never recommend that you open up your Mac just to see how it works. We all know what makes a computer tick, there's no reason to do it on a Mac, because they're often times significantly harder to put back together than the average PC. Maybe you should wait until MacWorld and get a Mac mini with the new updated graphics cards.

6. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

all mac mini's support 10.5?

so i take it the graphics card is the big factor for the newer 10.x's? i was reading spaces and expose need a decent video card for it to work right.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

yessir

8. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you're getting a Mini, wait for the update at MacWorld.

"There's an upd-" We know nothing other than it's been 500 days and it's due.

But after the update, you can have up to 4GB of RAM and any SATA laptop hard drive in there.

Yes, but the Intel Mac Mini is faster for the same price. Heck, the first MacBook Air was faster. Wait for the updated Mac Mini.

10. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

so i would be better off with a mac mini than an older G5? like the one listed above? its only $100 differense.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Wait until January before buying a Mini, new models are long overdue. And yes you're better off with the Mini.

12. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

13. LordOfTheMacs macrumors member

Okayyyyyyy,
    Honestly, i would go for a 1-1.42 ghz power mac g4 or a g4 mini because they are cheap and can support leopard. The g4 case is easily upgraeable with one of the many processsor upgrades. The g4 has two drive bays , can hold 4 ram sticks and two hard drives. But ............ If you will probably end up using it for everyday tasks and final cut, get intel or g5 because if you treat a g4 like it's a mac pro...........:(:apple:

14. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

If you're just looking for a quick tinker-toy that runs OS X, a secondhand iBook/PowerBook would serve you well. My first Mac was a 700Mhz G3 iBook with 384MB RAM. Ran like molasses in January but I liked it enough that I moved up to a MBP.

If you're looking for an actual workstation-type computer and your budget doesn't allow for the latest and greatest Intel gear, I'd go for the PowerMac G5. The one in my sig runs Leopard like a dream and does everything I want it to short of gaming... stupid ancient GeForce :mad:...

One caveat to getting a G5 as opposed to Intel is that Snow Leopard is currently on track to phase out all PowerPC support. So if you get a PPC to test Leopard... that's *all* you'll be able to test. ;)

15. filmweaver macrumors regular

Mac Lab Computer

If you really want to see what a NEW Mac will do go for the MAC PRO you will never regret it. I was undecided on a PC tower or the MAC Pro, went for the MP because the equal power in a PC form was just to expensive when you start to compare specs of processing power, and you can still run Winders if your so inclined.

16. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

okay thank you i will look into those options.

17. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

Getting a MAC for your Lab?

Really, I think you are spoiling that dog!

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I agree my chihuahua is content with a few bones and a sock. Unless your pup is going to be doing some heavy-lifting, like editing photos and movies then I'd recommend a netbook, or even an iPod touch for 'em.

19. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

I bought a used G5 2.3 to start out with. I just made sure it was a PCI-e system and not a -X Bus.

Cost was around $800.00 and was loaded with adobe software. If I end up using it alot, then I can see spending $3k for a Intel system and tossing the Windows system out the door.

20. indiochano, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  21. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

I see what you did there. :cool: Greetings from just up I-84 :D