Considering getting a Refurbished 500GB Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nimmo, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Nimmo macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I was just recently given a gift voucher for an apple store and was considering getting my hands on a Time Capsule, however, the price is a little harsh, especially when I have a working router (even if it's not an 802.11N or gigabit ethernet one).

I spotted that there was a refurbished 500gb Time Capsule in the mac store and it is within my price range and I am considering it, My macbook's hard drive is only 320GB, 100GB of which has been partitioned for Bootcamp, so I reckon that the size should be more than enough for my one mac.

I am kind of split between using the time capsule and just buying an external drive and using that, but the concept of the wireless backups has really grabbed my attention.

I have also just spotted that the Airport Extreme Base Station has a USB port for plugging a hard drive into, but since I am lacking a spare hard drive and would have to buy one for the backups, I think that the Time Capsule may be my best bet, as the reconditioned Capsule is the same price as the current generation of Airport Extremes and even if I went for a reconditioned one and a separate hard drive, it would still cost more.

I was just wondering if anyone was aware of any problems with this generation of Time Capsules that could come back and bite me for being so cheap?

The reconditioned Capsule I am looking at can be found here.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give to this stereotypically cheap Scotsman.

2. jointsmoking macrumors regular

Damn that sounds like a good deal. I might just have to pull the trigger on that one myself.

3. Nimmo thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem I have also is that I need to use the gift voucher in an actual store and from a bit of reading I have done tonight, it looks as though my plan to try and pay at the store and have it shipped to my at Uni won't work as the online and physical stores are separate entities.

But ahh well, we shall see what I can come up with, but if it comes to it, I will just buy it and spend the voucher on something else. Not sure what, but I can worry about that at a later date.