Considering getting an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by whodareswins, Jul 12, 2011.

1. whodareswins macrumors regular

I am really considering getting the base 2011 iMac (the 2.5ghz quad core i5) to replace my late 2008 macbook.

One of the main programs I have started to use, or try to, is Aperture 3. My macbook really struggles with this which really pushes me to upgrade. I know I am changing to a desktop but I would prefer it that way. Plus I would like the option of being able to play games.

Now my question is will this iMac be able to run Aperture 3 smoothly? I am sure it will compared to my macbook, much better CPU, double the RAM and RAM speed and the benefit of a decent dedicated graphics processor.

I would just like some hear it from people who use it. The Apple shop iMac's don't have Aperture installed :confused:.

Oh, my first post too, love this forum.

2. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

Yes. I have the base model of the new iMacs (which I have recently upgraded to 12GB of RAM).

I was running Aperture on the base model of the Mini (with the RAM upgraded to 8GB) and it ran smoothly on that.

Aperture was running just fine and dandy on this iMac before the RAM upgrade. I haven't had any problems with it at all.. i've had it open with various other apps like Photoshop and even AutoCad and they all ran without a hitch.

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I have the mid 2010 iMac bottom line i3 and it works perfectly on that so the new imac should own it :up:

4. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

Yes, the new imac should run it quite well. It'll be a huge upgrade over your existing laptop. And if you buy it from an Apple store you get a 14 day return policy! :) But really, the new imac should be great for you. Just make sure the graphics card is good enough for your desired level of gaming. Everything else will fall into place.

5. whodareswins thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your replies. It's great news. I will be sure to get one soon. With a magic mouse I reckon.

Slightly off topic but whats the best way to upgrade the 4gb of RAM? I would like to upgrade to 8GB but would that require 2x4gb sticks or an extra 2x2gb sticks? Reason I ask is that I read that they have 4 slots.

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I went on crucial.com (uk) and let them choose. :D

7. Drewski macrumors regular

I've read more than a few comments of this variety. I guess there isn't a standard of what the local stores install on their demo computers, because at my local Apple store (we have a few in Chicagoland), all the computers seem to have all the software available in-store installed.

I was just playing around with Aperture the other day on a new i5 27". Not so coincidentally, that's what I ordered, and that is also what was just delivered to my office. :D

8. whodareswins thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your replies. Very helpful. One thing though, will the base iMac be able to cope well with modern games? The one with the AMD Radeon HD 6750M.

I'm looking to install portal, portal 2, counter strike source and some others maybe. Mostly off steam I'd imagine.