iPad Considering getting an ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cooperb21, Nov 25, 2013.

1. cooperb21 macrumors member

I have never owned an ipad but i want to purchase a tablet. Right now i just have a samsung galaxy s4 im looking into a tablet. I used to own a iphone 4 so im familiar with ios. Im just wondering none of ipads screens are 1080p so how does it play hd movies? Serious question since i looking at nexus 7 which is 1080p and if i watch hd movies on ipad will they look worse then since there not native 1080p. Right now im leaning to getting ipad that way i have access to both apple and android world.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

Ok that i did not known is that ipad 4th or just air?

4. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I have an HTC One and an iPad Mini. I love my Android phone, but apps on iOS are still much better. The screen resolution on both the retina Mini and the iPad Air is 2048 x 1536 - more than 1080p (1920 x 1080). Videos look great.

The only thing I find better about the Nexus 7 when watching movies is the aspect ratio - because iPads are 4:3 you end up with annoying letterboxing (black bars at the top and bottom). But access to iOS apps is worth the tradeoff in my opinion.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

iPad 3, 4, Air and Retina Mini all have Retina Displays. Retina display is 2048x1536. HD is 1920x1080.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Every full sized iPad since 3rd generation.

And the Retina Mini.

7. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

Is apple still limiting in video files? I remember it was hard syncing some video file unless that has changed since iphone 4. I think because they want you buy all stuff from there store.

8. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Same here! High five, bro!

There are plenty of third party apps that will let you view practically any video format, and many are free.

9. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

Ok ty i was wondering i had do same thing with android download free video player. Good to know.

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

The retina iPads have quite bit better resolution then 1080. They have 1530 pixels in the short direction so that is why they do not advertise "1080"

But if your only use of an iPad is to watch videos you are spending way to much money. Buy a Kindle or a Nook if you just want a media player.

The reason to buy an iPad is because of Apple's apps like Pages, Garageband and iMovie. You can do things other than simply play back media files. Buy a cheap tablet for playback only.

----------

The retina iPads have quite bit better resolution than 1080. They have 1530 pixels in the short direction so that is why they do not advertise "1080"

But if your only use of an iPad is to watch videos you are spending way to much money. Buy a Kindle or a Nook if you just want a media player.

The reason to buy an iPad is because of Apple's apps like Pages, Garageband and iMovie. You can do things other than simply play back media files. Buy a cheap tablet for playback only.