Considering getting Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spacegeek, Apr 14, 2014.

1. spacegeek, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

spacegeek macrumors newbie

So, the other day my old dell inspiron 1521 finally died. I have wanted a mac for a while now. So, my question is should I get a Mac Book Pro, or a windows 8 laptop? What can you do with Windows that Mac can't do, and what can you do with Mac that Windows can't do?

Edit: I should point out that I'd be using it for school as well, and I'm working on getting a Cisco networking degree.

2. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    Both are solid choices. On the Mac you could run Windows either via Bootcamp or in a VM. I haven't used a Mac in my working environment, but use Windows every day. I work in Network and Windows support at a medium sized company and can tell you I have only seen one network engineer bring in a Mac. Depending on what all you end up working with will probably be the deciding factor.

If you'll mostly be working with in a shell environment either would be fine, however in my experience some of the programs I use on a daily basis are not available for Mac. If you'll be working with ESXi there is (or wasn't last year) a vSphere client on Mac.

What does your school recommend? I was heavily pushing my wife towards a Macbook Air prior to finding that many of her assignments at least initially required the Windows version of Office.

3. spacegeek thread starter macrumors newbie

@LotusLord thanks for the advice. I've done some research, and found an article listing some good programs that can do the job on a Mac. The support for Cisco networking is there, I suppose it's just a matter of figuring out what will work best. Being a windows user for the past several years, i get the feeling a lot of times that there is always that one thing missing that windows can't offer, I choose an ipad over a win 8 tablet because I liked the quality of the ipad better.

Has anyone used any of these apps listed at this techrepublic article? http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ap...tial-mac-tools-for-enterprise-network-admins/

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have used iStumbler for basic site surveys and Terminal is your best friend.