Considering getting refurbished, worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by david401, Nov 15, 2013.

1. david401 macrumors member

I need a Macbook Pro with a dedicated gbu for film school. I have last gens 680MX iMac so it doesn't have to be completely over the top, I'd just like something with a dedicated graphics card and right now the only one that has that is the highest end one which is way too much money considering I have this desktop already. I'm considering going refurbished for maybe a retina with the 650 1GB. Is it worth it? Are the computers reliable and do they come with new casing/a new battery? I know last gen's retina's had some screen problems. I'm seeing refurbs that were released in Feb of this year. Was that batch fixed or did they still have the issue? I know this has probably been asked 1000 times but it seems search is disabled.

2. B's iPhone macrumors member

B's iPhone

Yes, it is worth it if you can't find the same machine for cheaper somewhere else.
    Apple refurbs are basically brand new.
    If that's what you're looking for and the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate.

3. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Yep. In fact I just bought a refurbished early 2013 base retina model - probably the same exact one you are talking about. I've bought several refurbished models from Apple - and every time they look just like new and come with the same warranty and support.

The refurbished rMBP I bought had a new battery. Also, I have a 2010 Mac mini server model that I bought back in 2010 and it is still running strong with no issues at all.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

5. david401 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I'll probably go the refurbished route then. Seems like a pretty good deal.

6. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

That is a smart move, you won't regret it