Considering going from MBA to rMBP but concerned about weight...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ks-man, May 12, 2013.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

My family has been using a Macbook Air since it was first released (original and early 2011). It's about time for another update but from everything I'm seeing it doesn't appear that the updates in June will update the Air to retina.

We love the Air for how lightweight it is as it gets carried around by all of us (including my 4.5 year old) and is the definition of a portable computer. I really like the idea though of the retina screens in the laptop as I have a hard time using my original iPad after I got a retina one.

I see the 13" rMBP is 3.57lbs vs. 2.96 for the 13" Air. For people who switched from an Air to a MBP could you please let me know your thoughts particularly with respect to the added weight? Do you find it more of a pain to carry it around from one room to another or do you not even think about it? Does the extra 20% in weight or .6lbs seem very noticeable? Any other thoughts? If we're surprised and the Air is released with a retina screen I'll definitely go that route but it just doesn't seem likely.

Thanks for the help.

2. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

The .6 pounds is equivalent to holding 1/2 of an iPad with you. It's not a considerable amount of weight, and the increase of screen quality and cpu power is amazing. Get the RMBP - you'll love it.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

You'll barely notice it if at all. .6 is nothing.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I don't really notice the weight difference without holding them side by side. The 13" rMBP is also smaller in length and width. I find it easier to use on my lap than the MBA. And the retina display is worlds better.

5. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

i only have the 15" rMBP and a 13" mba, but i've held the 13" MBA & 13" rMBP in each hand at the same time at the store, and i'd say the weight difference is negligible... i'd probably go for the better screen over the form factor..

my 2011 mba is fine for my needs though, i use my rMBP for work and my MBA for couch, bed, vacation yadda... since it's not my primary machine i don't really care enough to upgrade it.

6. Autrement, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013

Autrement macrumors regular

If you're letting a 4.5 year old carry it around, maybe a retina screen should be the least of your worries.

Yikes. ;)

7. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

What he said.

8. mykem macrumors regular

Take a Big Mac and place it on too of your MBA. That would be the weight of the 13" rMBP.

9. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Or, just buy the RMBP, and don't eat a Big Mac. Then you'll be carrying around the same amount of weight, and be healthier.