Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woutje

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
Hi all,

I'm considering the new iMac, fastest model, but first comparing the i7 upgrade to stock i5, and determining if it is worth another 180 euro.

After researching I've come to the conclusion that there's only a few minor differences:
- Faster clock speeds: 2.8 vs 2.93 (minor)
- Hyperthreading support for i7
- VT-d and TXT virtualisation support for i7

In reality there's not much difference. I've found a comparison on Anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=107

Do note that the i5 model is actually a slower one, as the i5-760 wasn't in the chart. Instead I went with the 750, so the i5-i7 difference should be even smaller.

As I do like to run Parallels Desktop (mostly to test websites cross-browser), I'm mostly interested to hear if the VT-d and TXT support actually makes a difference. To me, the faster clock speed and HT don't really seam all that important.

If you already have 4 cores, does it help to have 8 (of which 4 virtual) ? Tell me if I'm wrong here.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Depends on whether or not your application works across multiple cores and threads and if it does, how well it scales.

I have the 2.8GHz i7 from the last generation iMac and in applications like Handbrake that support multiple cores/threads and scales fairly decently across them, it has resulted in a serious performance boost.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Hi all,

I'm considering the new iMac, fastest model, but first comparing the i7 upgrade to stock i5, and determining if it is worth another 180 euro.

After researching I've come to the conclusion that there's only a few minor differences:
- Faster clock speeds: 2.8 vs 2.93 (minor)
- Hyperthreading support for i7
- VT-d and TXT virtualisation support for i7

In reality there's not much difference. I've found a comparison on Anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=107

Do note that the i5 model is actually a slower one, as the i5-760 wasn't in the chart. Instead I went with the 750, so the i5-i7 difference should be even smaller.

As I do like to run Parallels Desktop (mostly to test websites cross-browser), I'm mostly interested to hear if the VT-d and TXT support actually makes a difference. To me, the faster clock speed and HT don't really seam all that important.

If you already have 4 cores, does it help to have 8 (of which 4 virtual) ? Tell me if I'm wrong here.

It helps me. I'm running corei7 2.8 ghz and there's a number of apps that make this machine function like an OctoCore:

-Logic (I can run more software synthesizers or effects plug-in or tracks simultaneously, a big deal for me)
-iStat Menus (evidence the extra "cores" are helping you out)
-BOINC / Seti @ Home (I can run eight workunits at once instead of four)
-Handbrake (runs much faster - 200fps from a mounted disc image)

-Even parts of iLife use hyperthreading to some degree (GarageBand, iPhoto, iMovie)

I determined that anecdotally just by watching the processor meters in one window while doing high-processor functions in those apps.

(Notably, Logic Express 7 doesn't use hyperthreading at all).

Mind you, as time goes by more and more apps will use hyperthreading and extra cores so it's win-win IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.