Considering iMac Amazon UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikey4020, Jul 11, 2008.

1. mikey4020 macrumors regular

Hi I'm considering buying an iMac from Amazon.co.uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iMac-Desktop-2-4GHz-1GB-250GB/dp/B0018O9QUM/ref=pd_sbs_ce_4

As far as I can tell it's the April 2008 revision but is there any way to be sure? The reason I ask as I thought the majority of Apple products were priced pretty much the same no matter where you were buying them but this appears to be £40 cheaper than the Apple Store.

I plan mainly on moving to Mac for Logic Express as I'm quite into music composition (hobby not pro) and it's a fairly laborious process on the PC. Will the low end iMac be suitable for this. I'm willing to add RAM at a later date if I have to though.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Hi - why Amazon.co.uk.

There are always iMacs in the Apple Refurb Store - there is one at the moment at £729 which appears to be a later model than the one you are looking at.

Apple refurbs are excellent.

3. mikey4020 thread starter macrumors regular

I had considered a refurb but the one in the Apple Refurb Store only has 800MHz System Bus and 4MB Cache compared to the Amazon one which has 1066MHz bus and 6MB Cache. So the question is what's better? Having a better Graphics card and bigger hard drive or a faster processor?

I should also add that I will be going to Uni in September and have what's known as a conditional offer. Would I be able to take this into the Apple Store and get the HE Discount?

4. Hates macrumors regular

If you're off to Uni soon have you considered a laptop instead?

As for the refurb, depends on what you want to use the machine for and if you play any games or not.

5. mikey4020 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a Sony laptop atm which is fairly well spec'd and I will be staying at home and commuting when studying so I don't think I need another laptop just now.
    I would mainly be using it for general day to day stuff like surfing, office etc. Although as I said I'm quite into music composition and will probably be purchasing Logic Express.

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Wait for the Back to school promotion in September - free iPod Touch (if it is the same offer as USA) and 3 year warranty for HE purchases. And about 15% discount too.