Considering iMac....help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by exumdirect, Jul 22, 2013.

1. exumdirect macrumors newbie

I have been swearing at my PC long enough and I think it is time to go to a Mac. I am looking for a desktop (already have a work laptop) and I do not anticipate needing any mobility. My question is related to what I need to work with the programs I will be using.

I do digital photography and currently use Photoshop and Lightroom. I also play guitar and want to take advantage of Logic Pro X and all that it can do. Other than that I anticipate the machine only being used for other basic applications and a little video creation/editing.

I am looking at the 27" iMac. I already have iPad, Apple TV and iPhone 5, so converting to an Apple desktop I am sure will make life easier.

I guess that I am looking for some feedback regarding processor, RAM and graphics. I hate slow...already have that. i7 recommended? I know that I can upgrade memory from Crucial...but how much is too much? Fusion drive looks like a must?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have never owned a Mac but looking forward to the experience. Let me know if I am forgetting something. Not a huge rush so waiting for the next update is fine with me.
    thanks.

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

The base model is more than sufficient for your needs. You can always add RAM later. No need to buy it now.

You don't need an i7, but if you want it, go for it.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I agree 100% with the first reply, your needs are very moderate. If you decide on a 27" you can upgrade the RAM at any point. The only advice I'd give is do not purchase RAM from Apple, expanding it is a 5 minute process and you can buy RAM from reputable sources such as OWC (www.macsales.com) or Crucial.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'd choose the Fusion over the i7 upgrade. As others have said do the RAM yourself and save a few quid (sadly I have the 21" so had to pay apple to do it).

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Fusion over i7 for sure. You will probably want an external HDD for backup. Don't neglect external backup - way way too many people depend on the internal drive not failing or an accident where they delete important stuff. I'd recommend a clone program such as Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner plus Time Machine.

The 27" is an excellent machine. If you can, drive to an Apple store and try one out. I keep drooling at one in our local Apple store but find I use the laptop more and more.

6. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Considering the new Macs have a very fast (UASP) USB bus, you have the option of keeping the internal drive lean & mean. I.E. a small to medium SSD. Fusion is a very workable compromise for many people. 2 friends are heavy Lightroom users with new iMacs. They keep huge photo collections AND the related cat files on fast USB externals and leave the internal small. Works well.

Asking if you need the i7 is...well everyone asked this every time it seems. Nothing has changed over the years. Do you need to go faster? Only you can answer this.

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Some of your sound and video processing has a chance to use the HyperThreading in the i7.. but it's probably not worth it for you.

8. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

I have a 27 inch with the I5 and 680 video card. I spent the extra money on the fusion drive. I think that was a much better spend then upgrading to the I7.

I have had my machine for 3-4 months now and love it.

The savings for the I5 left me enough to buy a time machine and some extra software.

Tom

9. mtnman2001 macrumors newbie

Go Max

When I replaced my iMac I went with the 27", fusion drive, i7. And this machine absolutely screams. I added the top processor, not for today, but for the future, 2-3 years from now when programs get larger and demand more processing power. My last iMac at 5 years had slowed down so much to the newer demands that it took forever to handle most applications. This way I won't have to replace it so soon and it should be handling newer applications better.

10. exumdirect thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the feedback....now just have to wait for the fall? update.