Considering iPhone 6 Plus just for Camera/WiFi...Crazy??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aby, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Aby macrumors newbie

Hi there!

Has anyone considered buying an iPhone 6/6+ just to use it as a WiFi device and camera? Or am I the only one that crazy? I do not currently own any smart phone, and don't really feel I need the cell service, but the camera in my iPod Touch just doesn't cut it for photography on-the-go and as I get older I'm finding it harder and harder on my eyes to use the small screen. I have an iPad Air WiFi which I use for the most of my web browsing, etc at home, but I like the portability of the touch so I'm considering the iPhone 6 plus as an upgrade.

I would use it day to day for apps, web browsing, email, iMessage, photos, etc, and it could be my primary camera for vacations (2x per year usually) where I don't want to lug around my DSLR. I realize I could get a small digital camera for that purpose, but to get the quality of images that it appears the iPhone 6 plus can would likely cost 1/3-1/2 the cost of the smart phone and I'd end up having to carry both the camera and my iPod for the other things I'd use it for. If I decided I wanted cell service as well I would also have that option.

Money is not really an issue, but I hate the thought of buying something that expensive to only use it for 1/2 (or less) of it's features/intended use

I know I'm the only one that can make this decision, but I'm curious if anyone else has been in a similar situation or is considering this kind of arrangement themselves. This is possible right? I read that as long as I put a SIM card in it, even if it's not activated, I can turn on the iPhone and use it WiFi only - I hope this is correct or this thread is all for naught!

I look forward to your feedback - be gentle!

Aby

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you like the portability of the Touch, keep in mind that the 6+ is significantly larger.

3. Aby thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep! I'm not worried about the portability, since I always carry my iPod touch in my purse or bag :)

4. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

apparently money is an issue, otherwise you wouldn't say this.:cool:

5. Aby thread starter macrumors newbie

Hah - I figured someone might call me on this one! :p

Although money is not an issue for me as in I have plenty of disposable income available to spend, I was still raised to be very careful with my money. I have significant savings, I shop carefully when I can, and I have very little debt, but every time I buy a big ticket item or take an expensive vacation, I still cringe a little inside :p It's a personal flaw - maybe this is a good chance to just throw caution to the wind and live a little!

Aby

6. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Sounds like you will benefit from the extra real estate a 6+ offers. Hey, it's ok to spend money on oneself every now and then. I say buy one! You will love the new camera and all the new features.

7. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

You're rationale: A perfectly good idea. The 6 Plus has an amazing camera.

8. 617aircav Suspended

Do what you feel OP, no wrong or right as long as you are happy. I just paid $700 for a pair of shoes and didn't need anyone to justify it for me.

9. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Just get a proper digital camera and a iPad mini.

10. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

The 6 plus is a wise choice for aging eyes, but I think you would also enjoy the cellular capabilities either pre-paid or contract when away from Wi-Fi. It is amazing how much you use it once you have the cellular connection. Also depending on the model you purchase at full price, it should be unlocked so you would be able to insert a local pre-paid SIM if vacationing overseas.

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I have owned every generation of iPhone since it first debuted and my iPhone 6+ is my favorite phone since the original. It's incredible. The camera IS as good as advertised and my battery is so good it's almost comical. Takes me 2 full days of hard usage just to drain it to 0%.

Sure, it's a big phone but I LOVE the screen and the size doesn't bother me at all.

Go Plus, you'll love it. :D

:apple:

12. Chatter macrumors 6502a

You are not crazy. If it makes sense go for it!

Some other thoughts:
    - Maybe look at a larger screen Android or Nokia that is cheaper to save money?
    - If you are entrenched in the Apple ecosystem and not in a rush, wait and see if a larger iPod touch comes out.
    - Buy it and try it with a prepaid sim as a smartphone, you might be pleasantly happy with the added functionality.

Bottom line: I have the 6 but salivate at the 6+ screen size. It is too big for my daily use (plus pants), but it is super easy to carry around in a purse/handbag. I think you will like it....if you dont mind spending $800 or more.

13. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

14. Aby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your opinions so far - I really appreciate it.

I currently have a basic flip phone for work on-call emergencies only. With no kids, a quick commute, and not having a ton of people I call regularly, I've just never felt that I truly needed a personal cell. Of course, it would have been handy in a few cases, but I've survived :roll eyes:

I'm also hesitant to add another bill to my pile, especially if I only used the cell occasionally for phone calls and data off wifi. If I was on the phone all the time it would make sense, but I don't talk to a lot of people, and I tend to be a homebody so I'm almost always on WiFi and have a home phone nearby. I do like the fact that with an iPhone 6+ I would have the option to get a cell plan if I wanted to.

Lots to think about for sure! :)

Aby

15. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Since they already have an iPad Air, I would go the Windows Phone or Android Phone route as well to save money.